The Day He Left | Teen Ink

The Day He Left

By shania98 BRONZE, Batesville, Indiana
shania98 BRONZE, Batesville, Indiana

i love you till the end!

Well, my brother is in the Army but he had to leave for a year. I was use to him leaving for a couple of months at a time. This time was different. I had to wake up at 5 o’clock in the morning to go to his base where he was stationed. My mom, Grandpa, Grandma, cousin, and I all went there to go to a ceremony that they have for every platoon. We walked in and my cousin pointed out that there were more girl soldiers than boys. I smiled at my brother and said, “Bubby I want to be just like you!” He said, “Go for it sis!” My mom said, “No, Josh. I can’t have two kids in the army, one is enough!” My cousin just laughed.

We walked into the place where we had to sit at. Then, I saw a Blackhawk, it is one of the helicopters that my brother flies. We got to see what the inside looked like and even sit inside. My Grandpa, brother, cousin and I took a bunch of photos inside. Of course we were taking a bunch of pictures my brother was leaving for a whole year. So, of course every time Josh and I would look over at my mom, she would say, “SMILE!” My bother would say, “Stop it mom.” You could tell that he does not like taking pictures but my mom just kept taking them. Then it was time to go sit down. We had to sat there for an hour in a half talking about how long they were going to be gone and where they were going to be stationed at. It was getting boring, sitting in the worst chairs, and knowing your brother is leaving sucks. My brother and I are really close friends. We would always do stuff together. I was not happy that my best friend was leaving.

Then, after we got done talking it was time to come home. My brother left his stuff at the base. My brother was aloud to ride home with us for a little then he had to go back where he wouldn’t miss his plane. On our way home I was talking to him, hugging him, and trying to hold back that tears.

When we got home my brother and I went through photo albums picking out photos for him to take with him. Then we saw this picture that made my brother tear up. It was a picture of us. Covered in mud when we were younger. He grabbed it and put it in his pocket. Then he wiped the tears off of his face. He sat there for about ten minutes then he said he had to go back to the base because he had to leave. I lost it! I cried and ran up to him begging him not to leave. “Sissy I’ll be back soon, stay strong for me, I love you!” He said. I said, “I love you too, bubby!” My mother lost it also. She couldn’t stop crying, we did a group hug and then I look at my brother tears rushing down his face. He smiled to let us know it’s okay. Then he got in his car he started to pull out and I started crying even harder. He stopped the car, got out and said, “Shania come here real quick!” I ran over there as fast as I could. He gave me a yellow ribbon and said, “As long as you have this you’ll be army strong.” I smiled and shook my head and stood there and watched him leave.