Christiane Amanpour: Fearless Journalist | Teen Ink

Christiane Amanpour: Fearless Journalist

January 6, 2014
By neeka7 SILVER, Herndon, Virginia
neeka7 SILVER, Herndon, Virginia
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We do it because we're committed, because we're believers." -Christiane Amanpour


“Neeka,” said my teacher, “Who is your ultimate hero?” She looked at me with intense anticipation, as if staring into my soul and attempting to read my mind. Don’t get the wrong picture; she’s a nice lady. I thought carefully for a few moments, wondering the same thing. Of course, family comes first for me. Growing up in a tight knit family, my parents and sibling are naturally my heroes.

There was someone else though. Someone who I’ve been looking up to ever since I decided that I wanted to be a writer. I may not know her personally, but I know what she’s capable of. The way she picks up her pen effortlessly, guarding it with her life to fight for what she believes in. The way she speaks her mind and interviews renowned individuals without a single sweat falling from her brow.

Her name is Christiane Amanpour, famous journalist and Chief International Correspondent for CNN. You may not have heard of her, but for a student journalist like me, getting the chance to meet this role model of mine would be true bliss. I only hope I can be half as amazing and inspiring as Amanpour is, and become a role model for others.

I’ve always admired her fearless demeanor and ability to travel abroad to war zones and poverty stricken countries, reporting on the injustices and happenings across the globe. She is known for venturing to the most dangerous destinations on earth to retrieve relevant news for the viewers of America. Why would she risk her life? As soon as I stumbled upon these words from Amanpour herself, I knew exactly why. “If we the storytellers don’t do this, then the bad people will win. We do it because we’re committed, because we’re believers.”

I peered back up at my teacher, her gaze still upon my face. “Christiane Amanpour. You may not know her, but she’s my hero. Not the kind you’d expect, but the kind you’d understand if I told you.”

Intrigued, my teacher prompted me to begin. Lucky for you, you’ve already heard the story.


The author's comments:
As a writer for as long as I can remember, there have been a plethora of writer's blocks and dead ends. Every time I feel discouraged about my writing, the mere idea of Amanpour and recalling her countless tries until success prompts me to keep fighting for what I believe in.