Hoosier Heroine | Teen Ink

Hoosier Heroine

By CrayLoLo6 BRONZE, Crownpoint, Indiana
CrayLoLo6 BRONZE, Crownpoint, Indiana

Heroine. What’s the true meaning? A heroine is a female who has signs of courage and the ability to do brave quests, for which she is respected for. Her emotions cannot mask her true abilities; therefore her exquisite wisdom shows others that she is more than just an unintelligent, irrational young woman. A heroine can seek out the superb part of any being. My brave, courageous heroine is my cousin, Sydney Farmer.

You can ask, “Well why is she your heroine?” I can respond with many statements. First of all Sydney isn’t just a stranger to me, she is family. So I can trust her with absolutely anything. For instance: sometimes I could be sick, so sick I can’t make it to school. I could call Sydney up and explain to her why I wouldn’t be at school. And later on after school, Sydney would call me back saying she went to my classes and got my homework or notes. Also, she would stop by to give me my schoolwork as well as check up on me too.

Another reason why Sydney is my heroine is because she’s headstrong and determined. As an example: Last year Sydney was on the freshman basketball team. This year, when she tried out, she didn’t make it. She was devastated, until the coach came back and told her why she didn’t make the team. She wasn’t on the team because there were so many people who tried out and not enough spaces on the team for all of them. Sydney understood everything the coach explained. What got her attention was when the coach asked her if she wanted to be the manager for the team. Sydney immediately replied with a yes, which made her insanely overjoyed with happiness. So even if she never really ‘made’ the basketball team, she was still happy that she was at least part of the program. This summer she told me she’s going to practice twice as hard so she can make the team next year. Her being so headstrong and determined has inspired me to be more like that, in life and in sports.

The last reason she is my heroine is that she’s always there for me and does whatever it takes to make me happy. Like a few months ago my dad gave away my dog, Hunter, without letting me know ahead of time. So I really never got to give Hunter a proper goodbye. That made me cry for countless nights, but every day when I went to school Sydney somehow turned my frown upside down. Plus I always think back to when I would always tell Hunter that I loved him; that made me happy. Another example is that when I found out my mom had breast cancer, I was shocked and wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. Whenever I was at Sydney’s house, or if she was at mine, we would talk about everything. She would cheer me up whether if it was a rough time for me or if it was something stupid that I was upset over.

Sydney has always had my back since day one. She’s loyal, trustworthy, a great friend, brave, determined, and courageous. You can talk to her about anything and everything without having to be judged. That’s why I look up to her. Sydney may look like a regular teenage girl on the outside, but on the inside she is my Hoosier Heroine.