My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

In life, tragedies happen to some people, and some aren’t as severe as others. From getting a paper cut that ruins you day, ranging to a broken leg that ruins your next sports season; it depends what you are going through in your life. Sometimes is feels like life can’t get any worse, we get overwhelmed and believe this, our life goes more downhill. We are given these trials and tribulations for a reason; it all depends on how we deal with them. Through my tragedy, I got the privilege to meet one of the greatest person I have ever met, Lisa Lopez.

I received the privilege of meeting Lisa Lopez when her son passed away from suicide. But before I introduce that topic I would like to begin with Lisa’s life before George, her son, who passed away. Her husband passed away a few years prior and that was not easy. We all know it is not easy to lose a grandfather or grandmother, but we are often able to cope because they are ready to go to heaven and we know they are relieved of their pain. But, when we lose someone young or someone we wouldn’t expect to lose it is more of a tragedy than a relief.

This past summer, on July 13, Lisa lost her only son George. On top of mourning the passing of her husband, she lost her angel. I was a classmate of her son and he was always a bright smile in the crowd. She raised a great son, and friend, George was a reflection on this amazing woman. Lisa taught her son all she knew and made him into a good man. All moms care for their children. Children are supposed to bury their parents, the parents are not suppose to bury their children.

When I talk to Lisa, she still talks about her bouncing baby boy as if he is still with us, and her strength amazes me. Lisa always has a smile on her face, and she is always laughing and giggling. I ask myself, “How can someone who has been through hell and back be happier than most people with small problems?” After I realized how strong of a woman she is, I realized how my problems don’t even compare to hers; her trials are far worse than mine will ever be.

In life, we like to feel bad for ourselves because we think we deserve to have someone feel bad for us. Most of us who think like this really don’t have many problems or maybe none at all. But, in society we see these people, like Lisa, and they are some of the happiest people. They may not be the happiest people on the inside, but I know Lisa portrays happiness on the outside to help people and not put the focus on herself. Lisa taught me a lesson we aren’t told about, the one we need to understand to make it through life. When we are thrown curveballs in life sometimes we strikeout, but if we throw our bat on the ground we are not going to pick it back up again. If we don’t try to be happy we won't be happy, but if we pick up the bat and strive to be happy we will see the change in our lives and the change in the life around us.

gabbyheins said...
Hope this is honestly the best thing I have ever read! Miss you George!