My Mother | Teen Ink

My Mother

By dgeileen PLATINUM, Livingston, New Jersey
dgeileen PLATINUM, Livingston, New Jersey

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
― Oscar Wilde

When people think of heroes they might think of Superman or Spiderman (or whichever new superhero has taken over the fascination of kids and teens worldwide), but sometimes it’s the people closest to us that are our heroes. And for me, this person is my mother. We have moments when I’m screaming at her and moments when she’s growing white hair looking at my grades online, but I know that even through all these moments, I love her and she loves me.

She works really hard for both my brother and me, even though we aren’t always the sweetest kids. In fact, we are often kids that would be placed on Santa’s Naughty List. We have fits and tantrums and sometimes just scream at her to go away. Even with how unappreciative  she’s always there helping us with a project when our partners have ditched us, helping us with our last minute studying even though she is shaking her head in disapproval, and helping me with competitions and extracurricular activities that she isn’t required to. Although moms are supposed to give their kids love and care and food and shelter…she gives those around her so much more as well.

One Sunday morning, I rolled over slowly in bed and turned over to see my mom in my room. She didn’t see me open my eyes as she was crouched over by my desk, studying this packet of competition material I needed for FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America). Even though I didn’t see the front of her face, I could imagine her brows furrowed in concentration as she slowly read the words under her breath and scribbled notes on the side. I smiled a sheepish smile and rolled over back to bed.

Only when I woke up did I fully realize how much I have owed my mom. This was my competition test that I had chosen to take, not hers, but she still stayed up with me till midnight the day before, visiting multiples sites and watching tutorial videos on how to format using tab stops in Word. And the next morning while I had decided to stay in bed until 10, she was up early in the morning looking over the study guides so she could help me later.

Suddenly I started to notice more things that my mom did for us unnoticed and never asking for a “thank you”. I’m still sometimes unappreciative and forget all the good things she has done for me, but someday I want to show her my writing and say “Thank you Mom. I’m so glad that you raised me to be who I am. You are my hero.”

To my hero: my one and only mom.

― Oscar Wilde

Sorry for the typos! It is supposed to say "even with how unappreciative we are"