What is a Hero? | Teen Ink

What is a Hero?

By Dameon_Farris PLATINUM, Folton, District Of Columbia
Dameon_Farris PLATINUM, Folton, District Of Columbia

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree. It will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Eistiene

Use example from the book Odysee

What exactly is a hero?

Well to correctly answer this question I'd have to reveal my opinion. Which I don't do often. When writing essays I just use facts anyhow. It all depends on what you believe. Some people think there dad is their hero, or that an hero is a man who is respectful and kind hearted.
As others thinks a hero is a guy who shoots lasers out of his eyes with super strength. You see there are no real true answer; they'd all be correct. Personally to me an hero is multiple things. You don't have to have superpowers, like Odysseus in the Odyssey created Homer, or even had saved someone, hero to me is someone who is there for you and cares and is willing to help you with homework or moving or even something as simple as taking the dogs out while your on vacation.

You see a hero to me is what is on the inside not what he/she looks like or rather if she/he is strong. For example some people say Abraham Lincoln  was  hero, yet he wasn't built like a tank he never fought,  but yet saved millions. Another example of an hero is your parents. They are there when your feeling sad. They always cheer you up, and when you get hurt who takes you to the doctor? It is your parents. Anyhow that's my description of an hero. This description is like Odyessus. Such as when he escaped the cyclops. He used his smarts to escape, and his love for his men which made him care for them. Personally I had read about how and why Odyessus  he had left home and why, which took courage. This is why he is an hero in my book.
Now what I'm trying to prove is that an hero could be anyone you look up to. He or she doesn't have to be strong, smart or even very brave. As long as he or she has a good heart then he or she depending on who is your hero.

My definition of a hero is someone who does a selfless act and doesn't expect anything out of it. A hero isn't born a hero they grow to be a hero and a hero doesn't have to be a good person. The act of kindness isn't like they have to save the world it could be as simple as giving food to a homeless person on the street or saving a newborn from a trash bin. A hero doesn't need to be recognized or called a hero they didn't do the selfless act for attention they did it because it was the right things to do. But keep in mind sometimes the right things is the hardest thing to do. A hero is an everyday person who does a selfless act to make someone, something else's  life better.