Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

First off, I’d like to greet you with a warm welcome home. I wish I could be there to give you this letter in person. If I was there, I know  I’d see beautiful souls brighten the room with their smiles. That means you! I’d also see the respect you have for America. I know it inspires everyone. Since I won’t be there in person, I’d like to introduce myself to you.

My name is Maria F. and I attend high school in Southeastern Wisconsin. Yes, the dairyland! As a part of our education and curriculum to further our horizons, we were privileged to view Honor Flight videos. I must say, the videos did a great job of showing me, and all of students, how important it is to thank veterans like you. Thanking you specifically is imperative because you took what you believed in so strongly, and fought so there can be change. America would not be the same without your part. The videos, which we started to tear up in, are so sweet, respectful, and beautiful.

Secondly, I’d like to extend my hand and say “Thank you for your selfless service and all that you have done for this country.” No one truly understands or knows the imagery, sounds, and feelings. The words “thank you for your service” cannot even begin to express all of our gratitude, honor, and respect towards you. It just can’t. There are no words big enough nor a smile wide enough to express our admiration and love towards your precious soul. There is not a hug strong enough, though I wish I could give a hug. I will not even begin to say “I know how you feel.”

All I can offer is a thank you. For your service, courage, bravery, sacrifice, dedication, respect and humbleness for veterans like you. Those words do not even begin to show all of our thanks.

All veterans are our heroes. You and all veterans are in my thoughts and prayers. As I remember you today,  I hope you all have a wonderful time seeing the memorials built in your honor. We will continue to expand our horizons in understanding, though we cannot completely understand until in the same shoes.

For all you have done, thank you for your service.
Sincerely,

Maria F.