Dear Vietnam Veterans | Teen Ink

Dear Vietnam Veterans

By Kory07 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Kory07 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Being thrust into a war you didn’t ask for is something most people will never experience. But you did. Many Vietnam veterans, maybe including you, didn’t want to fight. But when you got home you were treated cruelly and inhumanely. I’m writing this letter to make it clear I appreciate your sacrifice and want to give you the warm welcome home you never got.

My name is Kory. I’m a senior in High School. After seeing the Honor Flight video I was inspired to write to you. I don’t know who you are, what your story is, or even what your name is—but I want to make it clear you're appreciated, not only by me, but by the community.

Today, veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan war are treated with the respect you never got. I think Vietnam veterans were a forgotten group. When people think of veterans, they think of World War II or Iraq and Afghanistan. I think that is unfair. Vietnam veterans, such as yourself, were drafted. And you were treated like monsters when you got home. I can’t imagine going through what you had to and then coming home to find that you’re despised. It makes me angry to know that the public treated veterans with such disrespect. But times have changed. Vietnam veterans have not been forgotten. With that, I want to say welcome home.

Nobody in my family fought in the Vietnam war. Because of this, I never got to talk to a Vietnam vet. I want to know more about the experiences you had overseas. The Vietnam conflict is unique and unlike any other a generation experienced. I’m curious as to what life was like for you in Vietnam. What was the food like? What did you do for fun during downtime? How bad did the weather suck? These are some of the many questions I have for Vietnam vets like yourself.

Once again, I want to say welcome home. I hope you had a great day in Washington DC seeing the memorials in you and your fellow veterans honor and I hope to hear from you soon!