Community Voices Essay | Teen Ink

Community Voices Essay

By t_osmond BRONZE, Spring, Texas
t_osmond BRONZE, Spring, Texas

Origin: For my English class, we were assigned a narrative essay. We first interviewed a member of our community. We used the information from the interview to write about an event from that person’s point of view. The essay focused on the use of imagery. I applied my own experiences from living in a golfing community into the essay to give it a more authentic feel. 

Community Voices Essay 

Rationale: I interviewed Matt, a golf instructor at the golf course of my neighborhood. I’ve known him for three years and the interview was very comfortable and quite humorous. I called him over the phone on a rainy Sunday afternoon, he had given golf lessons for a few hours this day despite the cold, harsh weather. From interviewing Matt, I learned the importance of enjoying your job. He was ecstatic with his work and had found his calling in life.  

I was born and raised in Texas. As a kid, I played sports, every and any sport. Though as I got older, golf became my specialty. This town was the perfect place to live for golf. The community is a golfing community. The driving range and putting greens were my home. I dreamed of becoming a professional golfer since I was a kid. I played with my dad and granddad every weekend. We would putt from the edge of the green and the closest to the flag wins a dollar. Anticipation ran through me as I would watch the cursive lettering of ‘Titleist’ roll over and over getting near the hole. We’d have chipping competitions in the long grass and trick shots through tree branches. I would watch the ball arch high into the soft blue sky then thud hard into the perfectly manicured green, leaving a small dent where it pressed into the ground. Who can hit the farthest drive? The solid contact of the metallic club face smashing into the ball made the most satisfying clicking sound. With pride, I would watch the ball whizzing through the air and pick up the cracked tee and run my fingers over the splintered wood fibers. At the end of the day, I would slouch into the vinyl golf cart seats that stick to your thighs when you tried to get up. I would doze off as my dad drove us back to the clubhouse. The electric hum the golf cart and the golf clubs clinking together as we went over each bump in the path were my lullabies. I would tug off the sweaty glove and shake out my matted down hair from wearing a cap all day. I have permanent tan lines outlining collared shirts and socks to show for all the hours on the course.  

I have played or done something with golf for 25 years. I played in high school, in college, and I have played professionally. Every stroke has led me to where I am now, which is teaching golf at the Summit Golf School. I love my job. I enjoy meeting and talking to new people and working as a golf instructor gives me that opportunity. My goal is to make sure that everyone that comes through my door leaves better than how they showed up, whether that’s with golf or with how they are feeling. Something I have noticed with golf, is peoples’ personalities reflect how they play. People that are more reserved and quieter tend to hit the ball softer than a more energetic and gregarious person would. I try to give my students the confidence and improve their mindset to get better results. I also get to spend lots of time outdoors with my job. I see the airy, lemon yellow sun rays through the pine trees and deer running through thickets by the creeks. When I leave work, I watch the golden and pink clouds dim into the night with the setting sun.   

I played as a professional golfer once and I would do it again. I was able to play golf for a living and not many people can say that they have done that. The same feelings of anticipation while watching my putts roll to the flag that I felt as a kid stayed with me. The same pride and excitement that I felt with my drives and iron shots filled me on tour. On top of that, with golf, I met somebody new every single week and traveled the country. I value these things in my life, and I get to do both with professional golf and my job. I can’t imagine life without golf. To some people, it’s just a hobby or a game but to me, it is my life’s calling. There’s not another job I’d rather have.