Community Voices Interview | Teen Ink

Community Voices Interview

January 30, 2019
By ameracf BRONZE, Spring, Texas
ameracf BRONZE, Spring, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Happy, that’s how’s I describe my childhood. I had a  simple life, everything at my fingertips. My sister, Abby and I spent most of our childhood in a suburb of Orange County, Yorba Linda, California   We were just a drive from Disneyland and the beach; I mean what else could a kid ask for. We were like any typical America family, Abby and I didn’t always get along but as a family, we couldn’t be closer, we even had the golden retriever. In case you don’t know Yorba Linda, I’d describe it as wealthy and conservative, pretty’s similar to my home now. My parents were constantly involved in the church, so naturally, it became a large focus of my life. My youth really shaped me to be the person I am today, If I don’t know any better I’d say I grew up to become my parents. There’s no doubt about it, I grew up  privileged

As a kid, my dream in life was to one day become a veterinarian but sadly that dean faded away once I learned it wasn’t all just about playing with animals. I was twelve and our dog, daisy had beens sick for about three months. She had arthritis, and could barely walk. I remember trying to take her on walks, yet I received nothing more than a high pitched whine from her as she whipped with her sad puppy eyes. Her age was defined in her especially saggy ears and yellow white-ish fur, yet she had the eyes of a puppy. My mom decided it was best to take daisy to the veterinarian, I very vividly recall the drive there, anxious and excited. Although it wasn’t for the desired reason it would be my first visit to the workplace of my dreams. I remember hearing the whispering of my mom and the vet discussing as I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach.  Meanwhile I admire the different posters and ads across the room of animals, taking in the odd smell of doctor’s office and animal poop, until my mom turned to me with glossy eyes and said in a hesitant voice, “give daisy a big hug goodbye” my heart dropped as I felt a lump form in my throat. Tears tried to escape from my eyelids as I tried my best to hold them in, but I did what I was told looked at my best friend for the past nine years and wrapped my shaking arms around my soft dog’s fur. I have Daisy one last hug taking in the smell of her fur, that simply reminded me of home, and whispered, “I love you” in a soft voice. As we left my best friend in the room with the vet, I realized I could never pursue such a heartbreaking profession. I was simply traumatized and mortified the thirty-minute car ride home was spent bawling my eyes out, not only had I lost my best friend but my dream. Yet this experience taught me a lot such as the importance of keeping faith in rough times and trusting that everything will work out.


Work hard and be ambitious, but also don’t stress out, enjoy liked and what you have around you. I regret not living more on the edge and experiencing new things with my husband. Trying new things, one of my best decisions in life was taking five years off work to experience the stay at home lifestyle and raise my kids. You don’t always have to have the next step planned out, relax and everything will work out, trust me. Let faith guide you, it will always be there for you. I slowly learned this after realizing the major component it played in my life. Without faith, I would never have met my husband nor be the same person that I am today. Do whatever makes you happy and spread happiness.


The author's comments:

I wrote this about my confirmation teacher form church, hoping to further my connection with her and her contribution to the community.