Christine Schapen: Teacher | Teen Ink

Christine Schapen: Teacher

By NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois

Christine Schapen:Teacher

Christine Schapen is a hard working teacher who is a mother of 2 boys. She teaches 3rd grade at Fry Elementary School. Christine is 43 years old and went back to school to become a teacher after being a teacher’s aide for 6 years at McCarty Elementary.

Michael: Why did you want to become a teacher?
Christine: I love working with kids, and I love helping them learn. It is rewarding to me to see their faces as they learn. They are so excited.

Michael: How did it feel going back to school when you haven’t gone for years?
Christine: It was a little scary going back to school because I was currently working as a teacher’s aide, going back to school and managing a family of four and they have busy schedules that I have to help them with. I was worried I could not handle all of it. It was exciting going back to school though because I was learning new things again.

Michael: What motivates you each day to do your best job?
Christine: I know I have children depending on me each day to teach them and I want to bring the best out of them each day because teaching them makes them excited. Them getting excited over something like learning makes me happy.

Michael: What is the best part of your job?
Christine: The best part is knowing that I’m helping kids everyday to get better and smarter. Inside it makes me feel good, and I feel like I am making an impact in the world.

Michael: What do you wish you knew before you became a teacher?
Christine: I didn’t need to know anymore because I have experienced it all and got the advice I needed. I just wish that I became a teacher the first time I went to college and didn’t wait so long to make the decision.

Michael: Have you ever regretted becoming a teacher? Why or Why not?
Christine: I only regretted it when I was trying to find a job because it was very stressful not being able to find one. I seemed like I would never find one.

Michael: Who helped you out the most in becoming a teacher and how did they help you out?
Christine: It was Jen Hirner who helped the most. She gave me a lot of advice on teaching as she is a fourth grade teacher. She gave me the opportunity to student teach for her class. I couldn’t have asked for anymore from someone.

Michael: Why did you choose to teach elementary students instead of higher grades?
Christine: That is where I was experienced as I was a teacher’s aide for years in elementary schools. I was just comfortable there, and I liked how the students were excited to learn every day.