How to Surf | Teen Ink

How to Surf

February 13, 2024
By OliviaKucharski BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
OliviaKucharski BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Surfing is a fun way to spend hot summer days in Wisconsin’s many lakes. The Midwest’s lakes may seem calm when compared to East Coast and West Coast oceans, but it’s still possible to have fun out on the water. Surfing in Wisconsin refers to using a surfboard behind a boat and surfing in the wake of the boat like it’s a huge ocean wave. It’s a great activity for surfing fanatics who don’t live near an ocean. 


Cohen Anderson is an experienced surfer who has spent the past five summers surfing on lakes. He has been the surfer and the driver, so he has enough experience to give highly qualified advice. If you need to know how to surf, Anderson is an experienced surfer who has all the necessary information to have your best surfing experience. First, you need to fill the ballast of the boat with water and pull out a rope. If you’re considering purchasing a surfboat, Anderson says, “super air nautiques are the best surfboats.” Next, you’ll need to grab a surfboard and a life jacket, which is essential to staying safe on the water. It’s important to find a proper-fitting life jacket that fits your chest size and weight. Anderson says to ensure you have the correct size, you should check the inside of the life jacket for information about size and weight limits. 


After placing the surfboard in the water and putting the life jacket on, you should get in the water. Once you’re in the water, grab the rope and pull tightly to create tension. Tension is important to get out of the water because if there is no tension, it will be impossible to get up. Next, you lean back with tension in the rope and give the driver a signal to go when you’re ready. Typically, the signal is a thumbs up. When the driver starts to move forward, stand on top of the board. Once you get up, Anderson says you need to surf inside of the wake, keeping tension on the rope to ensure that you are going to stay up out of the water.


Thanks to surfing expert Cohen Anderson, you now know how to surf this summer! Have a great time catching some waves!


The author's comments:

This piece is written about how to surf on lakes in Wisconsin, which is a popular summer pastime here!