How To Whistle | Teen Ink

How To Whistle

February 13, 2024
By 5robichaud BRONZE, Hartland, Wi, Wisconsin
5robichaud BRONZE, Hartland, Wi, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Whistling is an easy skill that almost anyone can pick up. It takes a small amount of practice, and once learned it’s easy to master. Blake Larson, is a whistling expert and has been whistling for the last seven years. Using his lips, he can create an extensive array of sounds. He discovered his talent, one summer day, whilst he sat in a lawn chair. “I decided to try whistling when I heard my dad do it.” Larson stated. He cupped his lips, and gently blew. As the air passed through his lips, a high note was produced. His form was sloppy, but nevertheless he was able to whistle. After the revelation, Larson asked his dad to help him perfect his craft. With the help of his dad’s guidance, he was able to perfect his craft. Now, he’s decided to share the guidance his dad gave him.

Larson says that the most necessary trait a whistler must possess are wet, unchapped lips. If your lips are dry, try licking them or applying Chapstick. Someone looking to whistle must also have a strong air supply, at least thirty seconds worth if you’re looking to whistle for long periods of time. If you have both these traits, you’re ready to learn how to whistle.

The first step is to cup your lips. Try to move your lips into the shape of an O, as if you were sucking through a straw. Once your lips are cupped, lightly blow through them. If sound is produced, you’ve successfully whistled. If no sound is produced, try adjusting the amount of air, or the way it is expelled. When you hear the familiar sound of a whistle, try to maintain it for as long as you can. Once you’ve whistled, repeat the process a few times. This will help you build muscle memory, and maintain your form. Now, you know how to whistle. From here on out, you should try and practice whenever you have time. Play around with your form, and the amount of air you’re using. Try blowing different notes, and other melodies.

Whistling comes with responsibilities. It is important to remember to whistle responsibly as whistling can often beguile those around you. With that said, you may now start your whistling journey and become a whistling master.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece after I interviewed Blake Larson, an expert whistler. As someone who had no idea how to whistle, I was confident that there was nothing for me to learn from him. However, Blake did end up teaching me how to whistle and I can now produce a constant sound from my lips. After learning from him, I think his tips could honestly help other people learn.