Mr. Vincent | Teen Ink

Mr. Vincent

September 28, 2007
By Anonymous

“My 2nd year of college I had a great teacher who made history fun.” quotes Mr. Vincent. This also being what Mr. Vincent's students see in him. Even though he is retiring, every student of his will remember the effect he had on their lives through his teaching, just like his history teacher did when he was in college.

When were you born?

July 7th, 1947

Where did you grow up?

Erwin, South Dakota, on a farm

Did you have any siblings? How many?

Brothers Andy and John. Both are younger.

What was your favorite toy as a child?

Toy Tractor

What was your favorite thing to do as a young boy?

Go to the field with my dad.

What did you want to be when you were little?

Farmer

Did you play any sports in high school? Which ones?

Basketball, Cross Country, and Track. Baseball in the summer. Erwin didn't have a football team.

What were your plans after High School?

I went to college in Madison. It was called General Beadle when I started and was renamed Dakota State my last 2 years.

What did you do after High School?

I worked in a lumber yard every summer until I finished college.

What kind of car was your first car?

1956 Dodge

What was your first job?

I worked in a lumber yard. I started work the summer before college and when college was in session, I worked weekends at this lumber yard and every summer.
When and where did you meet your wife?

DeSmet, during my Jr. year of College

What was the military like?

I was in the South Dakota National Guard. I started out in transportation but was a medic my last 3 years.

What is your most memorable moment?

#1 As a track coach Elkton won 2 Conference meets and the region meet in both girls and boys the same year.

#2 Every state meet where Elkton has qualified runners in Cross Country and Track is special.

#3 Especially the State Championships that were won. That is something that will always be super special.

Who is your role model?

My Mom and Dad and Don Magnus

My Mom and Dad because of the work ethic they taught me and Don Magnus because he taught me how to teach and treat students. He believed that a teacher had to treat every student as a special person.

Have you done any traveling that you'd like to share about?

I have went to an Atlanta Braves games in Denver and St. Louis.

Do you have any hobbies now? When you were younger?

I like wood working, hunting, and watching auto races. I like going to my parents farm in the summer.

What did your parents do?

They have always farmed and are still farming. My dad is 86.

If you could trade places with one person for one day, who would it be?

Students who are in my class so I can make any changes that would help reach every student.

If you could have anything in the world, what would it be?

No more war or fighting

Do you have any life changing events or occurrences that you'd like to share?

Things change every day but you don't realize how much has changed over time.

What was your favorite pet as a child?

Dog

What is your favorite pet now?

We had a special pet, dog named Tina. She got old and now we have no pets.

What is your dream car?

A car that goes fast and gets 50 miles per gallon.

What is your dream job?

Teaching and coaching.

If you could change one thing about yourself or in the world, what would it be?

That teachers in the classroom would make the decisions of how to teach students and not the politicians who think they know how students should be taught.

Why did you decide to be a teacher?

My 2nd year of college I had a great teacher who made history fun.

Why are you retiring?

At this point in time I am 98% sure I will retire. When I am in the classroom or at practice I wish I would never retire. A the same time I think I need to help with planting and harvest time on my dad's farm. Both of these times are when school is in progress. I also want to see if I can do some things in life that you can not do when you are teaching or coaching.

What are your plans after retirement?

I will try to get a job as a door watcher at Wal-Mart. I will help on the farm and I would like to sub here at school and continue to help with XC and Track as much as I can.

If you could have one wish, what would it be?

That everyone i know could always be safe, happy, and be in good health.

What has been your biggest obstacle in life?

Making sure that I could provide students with the best I could give to ensure they learned in my classes.

How did you overcome it?

I don't know if I did, all I know is that I put everything I had into it.