Interview with Jay P.: Sprint/Nextel Employee | Teen Ink

Interview with Jay P.: Sprint/Nextel Employee

Background: Jay P. (my dad) works at the Sprint store in Batavia. He has been working there for the past 4 and a half years. He fixes phones and sells them.

What do you do at your job?
“I sell phones for Sprint. I also fix people’s phones when they aren’t working and deal with complaints from people who broke their phones. I also order products for the store when we are running low and enter in codes.”

Why did you choose your job?
“I only chose working at Sprint because I needed a job, and it was available. I also was qualified for the job.”

What do you like about your job? Why?
“I love only having to work four days a week, I get weekends and Fridays off. I also get to meet new people, and there’s always something new going on in the store every single day.”

What don’t you like about your job? Why?
“I like my job a lot. There aren’t many things I don’t like about working at the Sprint store, except for people who come in frustrated and complain a lot about how their phone isn’t working properly.”

Do you plan on working with the same company in the future? Why or why not?
“No, I don’t plan on working with Sprint because I really want to start programming by myself because it is something I am really good at. I also don’t want to rely on a boss; I want to be my own boss.”

Is there any special training that you have to do before you can get this job?
“No, not really, but you have to learn what you need to do if a customer comes in and needs help with fixing or purchasing a phone.”

Do customers ever get mad at you?
“Yes! All the time! They come in angry because their phone dropped in a toilet or they spilled coffee on it or some silly thing like that and blame it on anyone but themselves. They come in yelling on a daily basis. I’m always the one getting blamed for their phone not working. Its crazy, but I just say I’m sorry YOU dropped your phone and that I can either fix it or they have to get a new one. I remember this one lady came in and she had dropped her phone in a bucket of water while she was mopping. I told her that she needed to get a new phone because hers was damaged way beyond repair. She got so mad at me because I couldn’t fix it that she threw the phone at me. She missed though. But yes, many people get mad at me and blame me for their problems on a daily basis. It’s pretty funny actually. Sometimes I even have to call the police on people who won’t leave because I can’t fix their phone.”

Do you have any advice for teenagers before they get their first job?
“Yes. Always be honest and try your best and be yourself if you are filling out a resume or are being interviewed by someone because if you say you have a quality they are looking for and you don’t really have that quality, they will be able to tell on your first day working there. Honesty is what everyone is looking for in an employee. Also, be nice to other employees or customers or your boss and show respect towards everyone, even if you don’t like them because if you respect them, they will respect you back.”