Interview with Investment Banker Mitchell I. | Teen Ink

Interview with Investment Banker Mitchell I.

April 22, 2008
By Anonymous

I interviewed my dad Mitchell I. who is an investment banker. He has been an investment banker for 23 years. He started his career at Salomon Brothers in 1985 and now works for R. J. O’Brien Associates. He is currently involved in the sales and trading of futures and options.

What made you want to choose this career?
I thought it would be fun and challenging. The opportunity for advancements was fast.
What type of education is needed?
A Masters in Business Administration and a background in finance.
What do you like/dislike about your job?
I like the fact that it is fast paced and everyday is different. Also, you get to work with large clients. Something I really dislike about my job is that there can be a lot of stress and pressure.
Do you need any previous experience? If so what?
Previous experience is not required but it is highly recommended that you have a background in finance and math.
What is your working environment like?
It varies from very quiet to very fast pace and noisy. When the market is active, it can be very hectic and bustling. You are on the phone all day long dealing with a lot of different types of people.
How do people benefit from your job?
People realize what the prices of services and goods really are. Also my company benefits if I make a good investment for them.
How does the future look for you and your job?
It will be much more competitive and challenging in the future as the market matures. The business is becoming more computerized and automated so the number of people needed to perform the job is decreasing.
What does the job availability look like for someone looking for your type of job?
The job space is very tight and it is tough to get a job like mine.
What advice do you have for someone pursuing your type of career?
Study and work hard at it. Never give up. Work on your interpersonal skills and get used to working with lots of other people.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.