Interview with Scientist Dr. Murali C. | Teen Ink

Interview with Scientist Dr. Murali C.

Dr. Murali C. is an Assistant Professor at the Washington State University of Pullman, Washington. He has devoted many years of his life towards Science and as a teacher; he affects the lives of many college students that may be interested in becoming a successful scientist.

What caused you to decide to become a scientist and when did you decide?

There is no one particular reason that put me on the path to become a scientist. However, I must admit that some of my high school teachers played a significant role in stimulating my curiosity in science. My curiosity in the wonders of science peaked in my high school years. I made a firm decision to become a scientist soon after my undergraduation.

What things about your job would you consider the best and the most you enjoy and what things would you say you would not enjoy as much?

The best part about my job is being able to carry out research as well as mentor young students to become future scientists. Many years ago, my teachers inspired me to become a scientist, and now I take great pride in being able to inspire young minds to pursue the wonders of science.
One aspect of my job I am not too fascinated by is the amount of time we spend on writing research grant proposals. In my opinion, some of this time is better spent training students and performing experiments in the laboratory.

Who or what would you say is your biggest inspiration to keep working hard and why?

Much of the inspiration to work hard comes from within. As a scientist, we are always striving to find something new.

What attracted you to take a job at WSU?

For me, the attractive part at WSU was the Department of Physiology in the College of Veterinary medicine. Some of the research faculty members at the Department of Physiology are renowned muscle physiologists who are internationally recognized. As a scientist, I have benefited greatly from interacting with my senior research colleagues.

Were there any different fields of expertise you were considering and could you explain why you wanted to do them?

I did not consider any other fields of expertise. I had made up my mind earlier in my life to become a scientist.

What kind of tips would you give to young kids that want to be successful scientists?

1.
Be curious about the world around you. Try to understand how things work.
2.
Explore different environment when you travel.
3.
When given a chance to explore different aspects of science, such as science fairs, explore it with delight. Who knows, there may be a future Einstein in you!
4.
Share your science knowledge with your buddies.
5.
Always ask pertinent questions. Your parents and teachers are great sources of information.

Would you say College is a very important step towards having a successful career and why?

College education is an important step toward a successful career in today’s highly technological world. College education prepares one to become fully rounded that enables one to have a successful career. As a college graduate, a student learns many important skills such as basic knowledge, communication skills and social skills. College graduates earn much more than a non-college graduate.

Is there anything you would like to change about your job and what would it be?

I truly enjoy my work and I would not change a thing about my job.