Interview with Corrections Specialist Serena R. | Teen Ink

Interview with Corrections Specialist Serena R.

April 22, 2008
By Anonymous

Serena R. is a team lead corrections specialist at a call center in Aurora, IL and has had this job for almost 12 years. We were lucky enough to catch an interview with her late this Sunday evening while she was out on a relaxing jog.

1. Can you describe your first job for us?

My first job was as a file clerk at my dad’s company when I was 16. I answered phones, typed up reports, and filed papers in my dad’s office.


2. What exactly is your job now?

I’m a Team Lead Corrections Specialist at a call center that works with the state prisons of Illinois, Missouri, Colorado, Kentucky, and Idaho. I occasionally answer phones, but mostly I answer questions the other workers have, pass out paperwork, and assist the employees as needed.


3. Are there any unusual requirements your job has?

You have to be able to pass a criminal background check. It makes sense, really, based on the kind of work center we are.


4. Do you consider this a job or a career?

A job; it is an opportunity to make money but it’s not what I want to do for the rest of my life.


5. What did you want to do as a child?

I always wanted to be a nurse because I wanted to help others, work at night, and make lots of money! Now I know it’s not quite as easy as that.


6. Do you find your job to be fulfilling? Why or why not?

For the most part, yes, it is fulfilling. I know I do a good job and I’m providing a needed service.
7. Is there anything you wish you could change about your job?

Hmm...I wish I could change the negativity our employees have on the call center floor. Everyone is down a lot, and it can be demoralizing.


8. What do you appreciate most about this job?

I appreciate the chance to make a difference in other lives, and for the most part I like the people I work with. Also, due to the nature of the work, I will never be out of a job.