The Best Teacher Around - Angie H. | Teen Ink

The Best Teacher Around - Angie H.

Everyone knows what a teacher does, they teach. There is more to teaching than just talking in front of a class and giving out homework, there is connecting with students and helping them when they need help. Ms. H is a great teacher that loves her students and the school she works at. She isn’t one of those boring teachers that no one likes, she’s one of the funny teachers that all students love.

When did you first want to become a teacher?

I wanted to be a teacher since I was a little girl. I’m the oldest child in my family and when we played school I was always the teacher.

How long have you been a teacher?

I began to teach nine years ago, but before that I also substituted and was a teachers aide.

What type of schooling do you need to be a teacher?

To be a teacher you first need to decide what level/age group you will want to teach; early childhood, elementary, middle school, or high school. A bachelors degree, four year, is required in education. In order to teach you must also pass a basic skill test as well as a competency test. If you want to make additional money you must go back to school for a masters degree and more hours.

Where do you teach?

I teach at the greatest high school ever, Waubonsie Valley High School! We have a diverse population and there is never a dull moment.

What type of classes do you teach?

I teach business classes and my specialty is money, Accounting, Advanced Accounting, and Finance. Through the years I have also taught Consumer Economics, Computers, and Business Law. Accounting is probably my favorite because I teach about debit and credit by using a punching bag Rocky music playing in the background. It’s a great time and the kids crack up.

What do you know about you job now that you didn’t know before you became a teacher?

I now know that my job is more than teaching, there is a lot of extra work that goes along with the job. I knew that there would be a lot of grading outside of school, but its other stuff like calling home when a student ditches school that takes up extra time.

What is the best part of being a teacher?

Well, some would say June, July, and August the time to recharge! To me the best part of being a teacher is to keep learning and sharing with all of my students. I always have a lot of fun at my job.

What would you tell someone aspiring to be a teacher?

I would tell them to work in any school setting, help out at day camps, youth groups, Sunday School, basically help out in any setting that you are with kids in. I would also tell them to join the Future Education of America during high school.