Quietdrive | Teen Ink

Quietdrive

January 14, 2009
By Anonymous

On December 26th, 2008 I was lucky enough to be able to sit down backstage with the guys from the Minneapolis based band “Quietdrive”. Kicking back in a beanbag chair was Kevin Truckenmiller (vocals), sprawled on the couch was Matt Kirby (Guitar, vocals), who lay ‘attentively’ he assured me, and staying pretty quiet on a recliner was Brandon Lanier (Drums). We talked about their recent release “Deliverance”, their influences and what every girl wants to know.
When we talked about their new album “Deliverance” Kevin told me his biggest concern is making the best music possible, “I really just want to write the best song I can, but it’s also important not to compare yourself to much to other artists.” he said.
“Oasis really influences our music, and they’re directly influenced by the Beatles so I guess the Beatles really influence us as well,” He added.
Regarding his influences Truckenmiller told me, “We get inspiration from a lot of different places.”
”It’s not just one place alone, but I think people with a great work ethic about their passion is something that really inspires me.”
When I asked him what going on the road has taught him Truckenmiller explained,” When young people are taken away from there comfort zone, and forced to live out of a suitcase, It really teaches a person to grow up” “It makes you learn to deal with lots of different peoples personalities.”
At the end of our time together I got to ask questions about first kisses, dreams, and their favorite girlie movies!
“When I was in 5th grade, one girl Katie, held me down, while the other Amy, kissed me. I did not enjoy it at all. It was absolutely traumatizing.” Kirby laughed as he described his first kiss.
“I (Kevin) didn’t have my first kiss until I was 17! This one girl kissed me, and after was like, ‘you kinda suck at this.’ And all I could say was ‘I know, this is kinda the first time I’ve done this.”
“Lately I’ve been having dreams about terrorist attacks. I guess its because were getting ready to go on tour in the mid-east. But I got taken hostage and they threatened to kill me.” Kevin explained when I asked what he had dreamed about the night before.
When I asked what their favorite girlie movies were Kirby answered automatically,”Sixteen Candles.”
“I like Mean Girls,” Kevin told me, “Mean Girls is awesome.”
Watching these down to earth guys rock out onstage was incredible, being
able to see two completely different sides of their personalities. “We really just
want to produced the best music we can for our fans. The fans are what got us
where we are today, and we love them to death.”


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 1 comment.


LaurenCJ said...
on Feb. 27 2009 at 1:45 am
Tatey!

i love yerr writing!

yerr amazing!

keep it up girly!

iloveyou(:

LO