Damon Liuzzo; Becoming an Architect | Teen Ink

Damon Liuzzo; Becoming an Architect

March 22, 2016
By hollyemma BRONZE, Carbondale, Pennsylvania
hollyemma BRONZE, Carbondale, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Damon Liuzzo; Becoming an Architect
I was able to catch up with a recent graduate of Carbondale Area High School on how his career is starting to form in college. Damon Liuzzo is studying Architectural Drafting and Design at Johnson College and this is his second year at this school. Liuzzo is finally beginning to get a hand on experience at his new job at McLane Associates Landscape Architecture and I got details on how he is enjoying this career choice and what to except for the future.
When I first sat down with Liuzzo, he was eager to talk all about the career he is going to pursue. We opened up the discussion with what made him want to become an architect. He explained to me with a wide grin on his face that it had all started with Legos. Liuzzo was always addicted to Lego Bricks because he would take the few materials he had, and create whatever his mind came up with. The large area for endless possibilities, made Liuzzo feel he could make ideas people have not thought of already, and be as original as possible. Legos are the reason he was drawn to Architectural Drafting and Design because it is the same concept with constructing designs, and expressing artistic abilities. Liuzzo did mention though that he is, “aware the real world is not like Legos” but still made a connection with Legos to his career.
The new job Liuzzo recently got is an internship at McLane Associates Landscape Architecture that he actually gets paid for. The internship consists of landscape architecture, a degree of architecture he favors. He explained to me that there are a variety of projects to do while being a landscape architect. Some examples he gave me were,  redesigning/restoring community areas like walking trails, and even parks for children to enjoy. Liuzzo finds helping a community grow with different projects that bring everyone together is a good feeling. The internship is already letting him work on future ideas for the company and he said they took a liking to him quite quickly.
Since this is Liuzzo's first time working as a real architect, I was interested in knowing how he felt about working there. He said since starting there,  it is, "Nice to have a hands on experience than before just sitting in a classroom." Liuzzo also stated that, "Learning from professional architects has improved my abilities in this field greatly and I am grateful to have an experience like this." He continued to talk highly of  McLane and kept moving his arms in the air to emphasize how excited he was while talking about his job.
I noticed, that even though Liuzzo started this internship just a few weeks ago, he seemed as if he felt like he belonged there. It is only his second year of college, but I asked him if he thought about staying at McLane for a full time job after the internship. Liuzzo told me he considered the idea of staying, but if offered a better job opportunity he would take it. The thought of a full time architectural job was not in his reach anytime soon because he needs to finish another 2 years of college in Williamsport, PA.
In Williamsport, PA there is a college called Pennsylvania College of Technology where Liuzzo said he will finish up his architectural drafting and design studies for a Bachelor’s degree in that field. He hopes to find another place to possibly intern at similar to McLane while he is at college 2 hours away. Liuzzo's face dropped a little and he is, "Upset that I will not be able to stay at my current internship." He is aware that finishing up school for good is what he really wants, and will find many more opportunities when he graduates.
There are jobs for an architect everywhere, but I asked Liuzzo, if you cannot find a good job as an architect and make a lot of money? He was very positive with his answer and did not seem like he would give up on his career. He said how even though it would be unfortunate, there is always someone out there that would hire a drafting major. One fact Liuzzo said that all drafting majors can relate to is that, "Construction is everywhere and you just need to be involved to be in it." There is no backup plan for him, but he is certain a job will be waiting for him as soon as college is all over.
I was curious to find out if being an architect was always Liuzzo's plan from the start since he seemed so passionate about this career. Liuzzo let out a small laugh and said, "Of course not, no one is born into knowing what they will do the rest of their lives." He joked about being a generic kid and wanting to be an astronaut to explore outer space. Growing out of that phase was something Liuzzo was very glad for.
Since Liuzzo is set on staying with this career, I wanted to find out  how he will see himself as an architect in 10 years. By then, he said the environment will not be as foreign to him, and he will be comfortable doing the job he loves most. Liuzzo even mentioned how it would be cool if he started his own business in architecture, but that might be a goal for the extended future.
To conclude my interview with Damon Liuzzo, he just wanted to sum up how prepared and ready he is for his future as an architect. The day may be far from him, but the wait will be completely worth it when he can be settled into this job. As of right now Liuzzo is focusing on learning as much as he can from this new internship/job so he can apply it to all other future opportunities he may come across.