The Interview | Teen Ink

The Interview

By Justin.Vonkaenel BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
Justin.Vonkaenel BRONZE, Palm Desert, California

For this coming summer I decided to submit an application to a Boy Scout camp to work their for most of the summer. The main reason I chose to send an application was because of older friend of mine that is in my Boy Scout troop. He worked at the camp last summer and really enjoyed it. A little after I sent the application I received an email from the camp director asking I could come in or call for an interview and of course I said Yes.

Once the interview was set up for a time and date I was always thinking about the interview. I wanted to work at the camp and make every scout that went to camp their have a great time just as the workers did when I went. Every time I heard the phone ring I would jump thinking that it was time for my interview and then calmed myself by realizing that it wasn’t time yet. Finally the day came and I was worrying about the interview all day. When the phone rang I almost didn’t pick up the phone, but I did!

When I answered the phone a nice sounding lady asked me if I was the person she was looking for and I said yes. She introduced herself and told me how the interview was going to go. She asked me questions about what I enjoy to do, what my hobbies are and what I would do in certain situations that could occur at camp. I answered all of the questions appropriately and told her small stories that went with the answers. At the end of the interview she told me that she would send me an email telling me if she wanted me at camp this summer and that if I had any questions for her just to send and email and then the interview was over! I had been worrying about a 15 minute conversation for a week and it turned out to be really easy and not scary at all. My story doesn’t sound extraordinary, but for being an 8th Grader it was extraordinary and different but not something I should have been afraid of but something I should have embraced and looked forward to.

davidrdz2000 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
wow this article is great.You write with so much passion:)