Hasty Judgments | Teen Ink

Hasty Judgments

By sschroeder7 BRONZE, Random, Wisconsin
sschroeder7 BRONZE, Random, Wisconsin

Barbara’s short, gray hair was breezy and her smile was serene. She seemed like a gentle, older women; the kind that laughed at life without a worry. Carefree. When she spoke, a German accent was audible. However, Barbara is anything but carefree. Barbara's childhood spent in Berlin during World War II forged the woman she became. As a blonde and blue-eyed child, Barbara was thrust into a world that produced a strong, political, and thoughtful woman.

Barbara’s life began with, and was shaped by, World War II. She was born to a Jewish father and a mother that was “as Catholic as could be” in 1939. Unfortunately, the Jewish religion was not accepted in Berlin during WWII. Hitler persecuted the Jews and commanded hostile treatment towards them. Luckily, Barbara’s father destroyed his Jewish records. With her Jewish ancestry hidden, Barbara felt safe from Hitler. 

However, this feeling of protection did not last long. Barbara’s grandfather spoke against Hitler, and he was sentenced to hang. He was sent to a concentration camp to await his death. As a result, her family was placed on a watch list. After this event, her childhood was never the same.

Barbara experienced atrocious acts. She described her city being bombed day and night. Everyone slept fully dressed, ready to run to shelter. “People screaming, houses burning, people burning” was what the crowd was met with when they came out of refuge. “I still remember the smell,” she said, “and the bodies, heads, and limbs everywhere.” Barbara has seen more horror than life should allow.

As a child, she would play in the rubble. She remembered the plaster from the burnt buildings served as chalk and candy. “It had a sweet taste,” she said with a chuckle.

At the age of ten, Barbara and her family left Berlin and went to Bulgaria. Otherwise, she would have been forced into Hitler’s schools. Her parents refused to let her participate in “anything Hitler”. Many people decided to leave the city, resulting in the use of cattle trains for civilian transportation. Ironically, cattle trains were also used to transport German soldiers. As a result, civilian trains were bombed by the Allies. But, she felt lucky compared to those who had to walk. “There were forests of trees with no bark, because the people walking would eat it. They were desperate,” Barbara explained. Her experience with war did not end when she fled; it would stay with her for a lifetime.

“I’m anti-any kind of discrimination,” she said. At this point, the interview took a political turn. Although, she started with a history lesson. She explained that after WWI Germany was in a bad state; they were in debt and hungry. Then, Hitler came and vowed “a Volkswagon and food for everyone”. He promised to make Germany great again. “This is happening right now in our country,” she said harshly.

“Donald Trump is the next Hitler,” Barbara said. She explained Trump is treating the Muslims the way the Jews were treated. “They have created so much hate!” Barbara passionately exclaimed. “He loves the uneducated because he can control them,” she added with a bitter laugh. After all she has gone through, she is afraid for the future. Afraid for us. “War is horrible,” she concluded.

Power is fickle. It should not be given to the man in a suit who points at a group and puts blame and hate on them. “We cannot just condemn a whole group,” Barbara said solemnly. Not the Jews. Not the Muslims. Not the people who speak of peace, but occasionally cause great ruin. “I just want everyone to be accepted. No matter their skin tone or religion. I don’t care if they’re gay or not. Everyone is equal,” Barbara declared. History must be stopped from repeating itself; hurried glances and hasty judgments must be replaced with respect and acceptance for all.