What I Learned From a Day in Ann Arbor | Teen Ink

What I Learned From a Day in Ann Arbor

October 19, 2018
By EthanLajiness BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
EthanLajiness BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“This is my first taste of freedom,” I thought. As I carried my wallet, my keys, and my Michigan jersey  towards my new 2018 Ford Escape. I unlocked the car doors and placed the maize colored jersey in the passenger next to me. I started the car, shifted into reverse, and began pulling out of my driveway. I had only had my driver’s license for a mere two days, and this would be my first real drive on my own. It would be the drive up to Chelsea, Michigan to meet my cousin Logan for a Michigan football game.

As I cruised along on the freeway, I listened to the different songs that played over the radio. I continued to think about how amazing it felt to be on my own. I was ecstatic. Eventually, I had reached my exit. After a few minor mistakes that you would expect a young driver to make, I shakily exited the highway and quickly turned onto the narrow dirt road that would lead me back to my uncle’s house. It was almost like a log cabin; the exterior was almost entirely wooden. However, on the inside it felt like a mansion. Logan met me at the door and told me that he had just gotten off of work and was heading to his room to change before we left. Once he came back downstairs, we hopped into his Ford Ranger and began making our way towards Ann Arbor. Throughout the short 15 minute drive, we talked over our plans to get lunch before the game. We decided on the small Olga’s at the mall located a few miles from the stadium. After arriving, We ate a quick meal and once again began on our way.

In a small little Pet Supplies Plus parking lot, we halted to a stop and hopped out into the almost 90 degree weather. The sun was bearing down and it felt like the soles of our shoes were beginning to melt to the dark pavement. The grass of the U of M golf course glistened as if it was freshly watered. After jaywalking across multiple streets, we crossed onto the grass and began the final, short hike towards our destination.

The wind was blowing my brand new Jordan brand jersey. The jersey, was all maize except for the giant “4” in the middle of front. I thought about the past and present players who have worn the number that I was wearing. Logan walked in front of me also wearing a maize shirt. He adjusted his hat and pointed towards where we needed to go. We continued walking, periodically singing the bits and pieces of the songs we heard from the multiple tailgate parties. We exited the golf course as both of our faces developed giant smiles as we could see the southside of what I believe to be the happiest place on Earth.

The giant maize block “M” is painted above the entrance of the giant concrete jungle. The deafening noise of the music played over the speakers had all 110,000 people on their feet ready for the game. “The Big House” as it is better known, begins to shake as the team begins to take the field, their blue helmets glisten in the sunshine. As I enter through the gate into our section, I feel the uncharacteristic heat in mid-September. The sea of maize and blue is all that I can see. I sit on the warm, hard bleacher seat which is labeled “1.” It is gametime in Ann Arbor.

The first half had just ended. The score on the giant Jumbotron read "21-7" with Michigan in the lead. Logan and I decided to go and buy some water from the concessions stands as the heat from the shining sun continued to roast us. Once we got to the concessions, we both laughed hysterically as we realized that the small water bottles were priced at "$4.50." This meant that after scraping together all of our money, we would still only be able to buy one bottle. We agreed that we would split the cost, and I would get the remaining $.50 because I had paid for most of the ticket cost. We handed the cashier $5 as our mouths could practically taste the refreshing mountain spring water that was only inches away from our grasp. The cashier handed me a coin; I noted that the coin was noticeable larger than a quarter. It was a silver half dollar, and it was possible the first one I had ever held. As we made our way quickly back to our seats, we drank most of the water quickly as it was as refreshing as a cold shower after a brutally hot sports practice. Once we arrived, we sat down in time to watch the freshman place kicker, Jake Moody, run up and kick the ball what seemed to be a mile to start the second half. I fiddled with the coin in my hands; I felt stress free and completely at peace.

After the game, I went back to Logan’s house to get my car before beginning my long drive home. As I thought about the day, I thought about the happiness that I had felt all the way throughout the day. All of the stress from the previous week of school or from the week ahead of me. I have always been prone to stressing myself out over small things. Even though my story makes that Saturday sound like a normal football game, it was much more than that for me. It reminded me that it is okay to take time off from stressful things and just remember to enjoy life. While the physical item I carry is the silver half dollar, the mental item is the reminder to make sure that I am enjoying the life that I am living.


The author's comments:

Just a small lesson that I took away from one of my favorite days!