My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

February 27, 2019
By B99NYU BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
B99NYU BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My first name is one of the prominent names in the Bible, as well as one of the most common names. John means a water fountain in the middle of a shopping mall in a lonely town in Iowa and I want to break free from that stereotype.


My middle name, Chaney, was dubbed by my mother before she even thought about children, given to her from her mother. This name means change, such as how metal beings ravaged the infrastructure of Chicago in the third Transformers movie.


John means a straight shot of highway for hundreds of miles, just like the stretch of road from one end of Kansas to the other. Chaney means the chaos of highways, freeways, ramps, exits, and circular roads that encompass the center of all major cities, providing peace and chaos simultaneously.


As far as movies and film are concerned, John would be a B-rated movie with subpar actors and an adequate plot. Chaney would be a sci-fi/suspense/action flick with a few top actors and actresses that has a few major twists and makes you figure out what is happening.


The difference between the names is so vast that it makes me think of the endless stretch of water that you see when you look out over the Atlantic Ocean, as if it never ends, one side stagnant and one side free-flowing.


The large distinction between my two names allows me to express both sides of my personality whenever appropriate, similar to how a villain has a dominant, evil side, and also a deep, emotional side, both sides struggling to win over the bulk of the personality. There is a beauty in this struggle, and this beauty allows me to justify my personality.


The author's comments:

My understanding of how my name connects to my personality.