Love Yourself: Her | Teen Ink

Love Yourself: Her

March 11, 2019
By annavandervoet BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
annavandervoet BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever listened to an album, and just knew you were gonna love it? The album that you can’t stop playing? The one that you listened so much, that you got sick of it? The one that you could never get out of your head? The one you listened to lift your spirits from a breakup?
“You’re my penicillium, saving me, saving me/My angel, my world”

Ever since I was little, the music my mom listened to, I listened to. I never had the opportunity to choose different songs. The only time I was introduced to new music was through the radio of the car when my mom drove me to school. It stayed like that for years! When I got my first phone I had the chance to go onto youtube and explore! Except… I never did. At the time, I never thought about music, I even thought it was a little stupid. As I grew older, nothing really piqued my interest in music. It wasn´t until September 18th, 2017 that my interest in music increased.

The moment I sat down on the school bus with my friend Kimberly, I was fated for something great. I was talking with Kimberly when our conversation turned to music. We were listening to all of the music that we love when Kimberly mentioned a band. It was a band that I never heard of.
“You know what band is amazing? BTS!”
When I heard their name, I was curious, as Kimberly has never talked about them before. I almost didn’t believe her. But as soon as I got home, I looked them up and clicked on the first album I saw, Love Yourself: Her. The first song I listened to just so happened to be “Serendipity”. What I heard was absolute magic, it was like listening to an angel sing. I couldn’t stop bobbing my head to the magnificent-beautiful-cute-pleasing-alluring-elegant voice. I can only describe this moment as one of the most blessed things in my life.
After I heard that album, I went through all of their songs, every single one, watched every single music video, and cried to Kimberly about how good they were, and after all that, I knew I was hooked. I would never be able to think about music without thinking of BTS. Every time I heard someone say the acronym BTS, meaning behind the scenes, or even saw the letters B, T, and S together, all I could think of was BTS. BTS was, and still is, my obsession.

“Our happiness was meant to be/Cuz you love me, and I love you”

Ever since that day, my world has changed. All I do now is explore my musical boundaries. BTS introduced me to a whole new genre, which led me to even more genres! I learned about Kpop, Jpop, Spanish music, even French music! Some examples are “Serendipity”, “Monster”, “Snow Halation”, and “Renai Circulation”. I love all of these songs, music genres, and bands, all because I learned about BTS on that day with Kimberly.