How I Winder What You Are | Teen Ink

How I Winder What You Are

April 24, 2009
By Laura Zasada BRONZE, Champaign, Illinois
Laura Zasada BRONZE, Champaign, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Tonight, as I walked around my neighbor hood, I glanced up. Not for the first time in my life, mind you, but maybe this was the first time I really saw them. They were every where; up, left, and right.
They looked like they were pinpricks of light in the inky black sky. They almost seemed like they were laughing or dancing. I guess I never really thought "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" was true. But you know what? It is. It really, truly, is. They were like shining diamonds, set on a black velvet cloth.
I looked at the constellations: The Big Dipper, Orion's Belt, and Gemini. I named all that I could and still there more. Not even an artist of Michael Angelo's caliber could capture or recreate the magnificence of the stars if they wanted to do so. The way they flow seamlessly together, without losing their individuality of definition. The way they shimmer and shine with a life and grace of their own. The shapes and symbols they make. There is no other natural phenomenon, or occurance great as the stars.
They say the sun is a star too, and a medium one at that. Just take a moment to think. Around the sun orbits eight planets, many sub planets, over fifty moons, and countless numbers of comets, asteroids, and meteors. It's astounding to think that, that same set is repeated millions and billions of more times than anyone can fathom.
What constellation is the sun part of? How brightly do we shine? How much do we shimmer above other planets? Are we even visible or are we lost amongst the others?
How many? How many other life forms, so many light years away from us, stood out tonight, looking up, and wondered those exact same things? How I wonder what you are.

Twinkle, twinkle little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle little star,
how I wonder what you are.

The author's comments:
just watching the stars one night and it just came to me. please rate it?