Importance of Memories | Teen Ink

Importance of Memories

By Madisonwe4 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
Madisonwe4 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

In the morning, I hear the ringing of waves crashing and the beautiful sound of the steel drums fills my ears. As I lay in my chair, burning my skin, I enjoy talking with my family and friends. Eating a swirl of chocolate and vanilla ice cream, I feel the heat from the glaring sun. Then as the night approaches we get into our elegant outfits and head for the dining hall. Our waiter, whom we are familiar with by now, brings out our meals and we try not to get dizzy from the violent waves. Just as I think the night is over our waiter comes out with a huge chocolate cake and begins signing. My face turns bright red and I was frozen in shock. I become immediately embarrassed because the whole dining hall was beginning to sing along. To finish the day at sea we change and go to the main deck where cozy blankets and buttery popcorn are provided for a movie night. These memories come flooding back when I look down at my wrist. When I see my silver pull cord bracelet with a single charm, it is a reminder of my sweet sixteen and the things I did to celebrate it. 

In my family we value the importance of making memories, and my bracelet is a way for me to remember the most important ones. One of the most distinct memories I have is my sixteenth birthday, which was on a cruise ship. One of the things I clearly remember is the beautiful and relaxing atmosphere of the ship. On my birthday I remember springing upward and instantly feeling a sharp pain in my head. For what felt like the hundredth time I banged my head on one of the two bunk beds that came out of the ceiling. My sister and I shared a queen bed in the middle of the tiny enclosed room. With no windows, the perception of time was hard. As I scanned the cramped room I saw clothes and other personal belongings sprawled out everywhere. I quickly changed my clothes and headed for the main deck. On the way workers, always busy, waved and said good morning. The crowded hallways made maneuvering around slightly difficult. When I made it outside, the breeze sent chills through my body and the aroma of salt water filled my nose. The peaceful beach music and pale blue water was always soothing. All around us, groups of people were laughing and talking with excitement. Ice cream machines had small lines of customers waiting to make their own swirl. Groups of kids ran around, switching from the clean and clear pools, to the swirly green water slide. The adult pool had only a few people inside, but the chairs all around are packed with women trying to catch a tan. The gated basketball court was filled with young teen boys having shooting competitions. As I climbed to the higher deck, the noise gets lower and lower. I found myself an empty chair looking out at the ocean and as I laid down, I watched the waves crash into each other. 

When the day turned into evening our group began filing into the dinning hall. My mom came in last, with both arms behind her back and slight smile on her face, as she set down a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a little white gift bag. My mom, who looks very similar to me, has short brown hair and blue eyes. She occasionally wears her glasses and is often wearing a sweater because she is always cold. Although my mom sounds like a normal mom, her internal values are unlike many others. My mom has the biggest heart of anyone I’ve ever seen. My mom often seeks to please my siblings and I before she thinks about herself. She is so worried about our emotions, that she forgets about her own well being. Birthdays, for example are important and she goes all out, making sure she gets the perfect gift. If for some reason one of us is the slightest bit unhappy with the outcome, it begins to weigh on my mom because she wants us to be happy. She is so selfless and is willing to do anything for the ones she loves.  As I began opening it, I saw her become anxious as she awaited my approval. When she saw the joy that the gift brought me, she relaxed and her excitement returned. The gift came in a tiny, pure, white bag with a blush pink bow. I undid the tissue paper and opened a small box with a little cupcake charm inside. I noticed its silver bottom and swirled pink top with sparkly sprinkles. The charm perfectly matched the shiny silver bracelet dangling around me wrist. I slipped off my bracelet and undid the clasp, so I could slide the charm on. Then I tightened the bracelet back on my wrist and outstretched my arm to admire the new addition. The charm slide back and forth, as I twisted my arm. The bracelet is simple, but a noticeable part of any outfit. My Mom explained how this gift is an addition to my bracelet to mark my sixteenth birthday on our cruise. 

For the rest of the night I admired my gift and enjoyed the company of my family and friends. We finished dinner and were waiting on our dessert when I saw our waiter came around the corner. The circular chocolate cake had pink flaming candles sticking out the top. Eyes from around the room became focused on our small table. Several waiters moved in unison clapping and singing. A rush of emotions came over me. I didn’t know whether to be happy or terrified. My pale skin was stained with burns from the sun, but my red cheeks were still visible. The hair on the edge of my face began to stick as I started to sweat. In my eyes the panic was evident and I began fidgeting with the tie on my pants to distract myself. My foot began to repeatedly tap on the ground. As the waiters retreated, my muscles began to relax. I felt my body take a sigh of relief. We left the dining hall with our stomachs full and leftover cake in hand. To end the night we laid in chairs on the top deck and wrapped ourselves in cozy blankets, as we watched a movie. 

My sweet sixteen was one of the most fun experiences I have had. I was able to make lasting memories with my family and friends. In my family we value the importance of new experiences and making memories. My parents use my sister and I’s bracelets as a way to mark some of the most important moments in our lives. My bracelet holds many memorable and unique memories and I am reminded of them daily when I look down at my wrist.

My inspiration for this article came when my mom and I were sitting together, looking through old photos.