THE TEST | Teen Ink

THE TEST

By adecicco BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
adecicco BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire

Everyone has that one experience of success. That one achievement that makes you feel proud. I’m the student that does not study most of the time and struggles to complete assignments. My mother told me the night before that I wouldn’t be in school because I had to work on a personal goal.  I woke up, struggling to find the switch to turn my lights on so I could find clothes. I felt nervous and curious.

As we drove to Concord my Little sister wept with tears running down her cheeks, crying over the movie Madagascar playing in the DVD player that was hanging on the ceiling of my mother’s Honda Odyssey. As we arrived and walk through the front doors, I could see the line heading down the hallway I stood holding on to my sister’s hand and smiling at my other sister while my mother held her trying to prevent her from escaping her arms. As my sisters are now throwing screaming fits. I start telling my mother we can come back another day. My mother response in a stern voice “Can you handle this part ill take them to the van you are not getting out of this! we didn’t drive here for nothing”. 

I watched as my mom brought my two sisters out to the van. As I moved through the line and got handed a ticket number that read D040. I remember looking down at my hand wondering if I heard the women correctly “take this ticket go down the hall and wait for this number to be called” I remember walking down the hall taking a seat. As I stared at the black screens that displayed the next ticket number counting down as I sat alone. As my legs bounced waiting with excitement. Soon my mom returns. My sisters who are one and two years old sat in red wagon that had been filled with toys throwing the toys repeatedly made me feel like a dog playing fetch repeatedly.

Once I stopped playing their game they started screaming. My mother asked  “can you handle the next step they will call your number, you go to the line, they will tell you and you need to listen to her when she speaks so you know what to do, Ill be in the van  you can do this!” I responded “yeah” in a quiet voice. Then she was already to the van as I stood up and looked out the window that was behind my head, when I got called to line 4 the woman at the desk  handed me a card with a number on it, and said “turn left walk straight until enter our testing room, you than will find the computer that matches the number on the card”. Within five minutes anxiety, and curiosity left my head. Out of 40 questions I only needed 32 correct. Once I reached question number 32, the computer sent a message saying, “I Passed”. Not knowing what I needed to do next I walk outside to the van with a shit eating grin and the song we own it running through my head, my mother asked, “so did you pass your written test?” I responded, “when I got to number 32 it said I passed”. I needed 32 out of 40 to pass! I scored 100 percent the first time of taking the written part of the New Hampshire driver’s license test. I Tony the only one known to pass the written test on my first try in my whole family including cousins the same age. I passed the written test in four minutes and forty nine seconds with a score of 100 percent on my first try.