They Didn't Listen | Teen Ink

They Didn't Listen

May 23, 2009
By Anonymous

Haunting shadows of death crept upon me in a fading state of sunlight. The September afternoon granted me some comforting warmth, though I lay in the grass in an unsettling state of emaciation. The thirst lingering dryly on my tongue would have been satisfied by the mucky pond water residual nearby. Passing out was the greatest sense of relief I will ever feel; my cries were silenced, and the soft glowing arms of death were wide open. My thirst was no longer overwhelming, and I was free. Unconsciousness does not know of betrayal. It gives itself thanks, for it is tired, and it is quiet.


The author's comments:
To explain the events of this day, I must confront my greatest demons. I was supposed to be taken care of. I trusted these adults with my life. I no longer trust anyone, with a couple outstanding exceptions. To understand the events of this day myself, I must forgive the people who hurt me, my parents, who put me in such a position, and i must forgive the nature that surrounded me. This will one day make a heart-wrenching story. It may not seem like much at the moment, but this is the truest vulnerability i can convey, at least for now.