My Name - Sam | Teen Ink

My Name - Sam

October 10, 2022
By sschaefer SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
sschaefer SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name in english means “told by God” or “God hears”. Its origin is Hebrew. This name was given to me by my loving parents, Joseph and Beth. 


I like my name, I wouldn’t change it. My name,Sam, is short, like the length of a quick poem. It's short, and it's sweet.


My name feels light. With only one syllable. It reminds me of warm colors. Brown, orange, and dark yellows. It sounds like a fall name. The bright yellow of summer fading into the darker yellows of fall. 

Sam sounds organized. The three letters in my name are neat and organized. Those three letters start from the bottom of your mouth and come out ever so slightly in an organized way. The letters coming out of your mouth so smoothly. Sam sounds kind, energetic, talkative, and anxiety driven, all things I am.  My name sounds like an athlete's name, which I am. 


When I think of my name Sam I think of the #12. The number 12 looks simple and short, again, like my name. 


My parents had other name options for me……Griffin, Cooper, and Grace (if I would have been a girl). But my parents knew right when they saw me in the hospital that I was a “Samuel”. Parents always say that, but  I suppose they just knew. 


But, if I had the choice, out of all the potential names my parents had, I would have also chosen the name Sam. All my other siblings have longer names, Colton and Kennedy, so while Sam might not be unique to some, it is unique to our family.

The letters in my name sound mature, which I like to believe I am. I like my name. My name has defined who I am and who I want to continue to be. 


The author's comments:

This piece is unique to me, it highlights the meaning behind my name and how it relates to me.