Ashes | Teen Ink

Ashes

November 6, 2022
By Anonymous


    The pain, the grief of loss, all that happened to that one family. The loss of two, the laughter and joy had all passed away. Now captured but remains still deep in their hearts, the memories haven’t been fully revealed, the love of the two. Two pieces of someone’s life, irrevocably torn from their hearts. It was as if Snoopy and Charlie were just barking to be fed, doing a happy dance to say, “can I go on a walk with you?”, both trying to get a belly rub. All this is a piece of your personality. Something that inspires you, it's something you have to earn. Life and care, represented by love and passion, grows throughout life. That inspires you to do what you do, and dedication to what you have a passion for. That’s life, and later you learn to live with it.


The author's comments:

 In this piece, I tried to use a little bit of anthropomorphism to make the dogs talk such as the, "can I go on a walk with you and also a little bit of anaphora to repeat the words “Two pieces of someone’s life, or the loss of two”. I played around with a somber third-person, a type of gloomy piece of writing. I write in this mood because around 4 years ago, both of my dogs passed away. They were “married” and had a litter of 10, they loved to play and were often very hungry. They were both beagles, a pair that were inseparable, who were always together. Their names were from the movie “Charlie Brown”, Snoopy and Charlie. Charlie was the first. He died at the age of 13,(70-90 dog years) and died of a type of cancer in 2017. Snoopy fought on for another year but died of old age at 14,(90-115 dog years) during the year 2018. The only thing left from our beloved dogs are their ashes, a little box of remains of both of their bodies, supposedly a memory, but for me it tells a story.