The Best Day of My Life | Teen Ink

The Best Day of My Life

By PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas

When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!

The water swished as I carefully walked down the steps. I cringed as my bare feet met cold water- it was the middle of March and not a very cold day.

My body- the lower half- was now submerged in the water. I looked up and into the eyes o my father, who was also the senior pastor and just about to baptize me.

“Before everyone here today to witness this, do you believe that Jesus died for you and that he is the son of God?”

“Yes.”

“Have you accepted Jesus as your personal savior and are you ready to show your belief in him?”

“Yes.”

His voice was loud and rang throughout the sanctuary. I was tingling with anticipation for what I knew would happen next. I turned and faced the steps that I had just walked.

“Natalie,” he said, his voice filled with emotion, “in the name of the Father, the son, and the holy spirit, I now baptize you.” I was still breathing when he lowered me into the water. I choked a little and wondered when I would come up again, shutting my eyes. As I met blessed air again, my father said, “Amen.” His words were followed by loud applause, and I climbed out, dripping wet.

The other memorable thing about that day was the fact that seven hair dryers were plugged in inside a tiny room and we blew the power out. I wasn’t using a hair dryer- but that was the moment that made me laugh.

There was never a better day in my life than the day I affirmed my salvation. Never before had I felt so love, so in love with God, and so joyful.

Joy isn’t the same thing as happiness. Joy is a gift from God- a gift that is priceless and yet it has been given to us for free when we place our trust in Jesus Christ. It was a truly beautiful day and one that is impossible to forget.

A week later, someone gave me a package and told me to open it at home. When I did, I was shocked. This person had captured that moment- my father’s hands on my back and one on my hand. We were gazing at each other- gazing with an expression of pure love. It is the most beautiful sight that even a thousand words would never equate. It is precious and it is a priceless treasure, second to the gift that God has given me.

This is the best day of my life and always will be.

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

Sacred! Beautiful. :)