A reflection, both past and present | Teen Ink

A reflection, both past and present

June 29, 2009
By Anonymous

My life is a wounding road filled with twists and turns, not to mention tons of obstacles. I’ve surprisingly made it this far. I wake up every morning dreading what I will most likely have to go through. I do not believe that a perfect day exists, though I do know that a great day does. It’s unlikely I will ever have to go through a routine; my friends often have something new to talk about or have something new to show. I myself am a very creative and strange person.

I have my good days and I have my bad. I don’t recommend bothering me when it’s a bad day. I guess I’ve always had an attitude problem, most likely it’s from mimicking my older sister and friends. I can be a pessimist but at the same time I’m optimistic. I like to look at the good side of things and people, and I can usually find them. Many people, I’m sure, know me as a pessimistic weirdo, who has a brain and knows how to use it. I have to admit though; it’s very close to the truth.

I am an overly sensitive, and emotional girl. It’s how I have always been and how I will most likely always be. It is something I cannot change and really would rather not. I would much rather prefer to hang on to who I truly am, and not change into something other people believe I should be. I will never be the rough, hardened exterior woman my mother is and I will most definitely never be the “loved by everyone” child, my sister is. I will always have my enemies, and I will always have my friends, it’s the way my life has always worked. To change me and try to alter my very being is like trying to stop mankind from destroying the earth, its something that can never be done, and hopefully will never be tried.

I moved to Kentucky during the summer of 2004, just in time to enroll into fourth grade at Prichard Elementary. It was easy making friends, especially since I was still in elementary. A new kid in elementary school is like a new toy that everyone will try to grab and play with until they get tired of it. I struggled at first but soon became familiar with the type of work we were given. I learned how to become dedicated to my schoolwork and how to behave around others. I especially learned that boys don’t like to be hit, kicked or slapped, which was always what I did to the guys at school.
Entering middle school was a simple and exciting, though gut wrenching experience. It is when I made new friends and learned the true meaning of being a teenager. I ran into a mass of drama and struggled to free myself from its tangled webs, filled with lies, hate, love, relationships, cliques, and tears.

I did eventually make it through, but a string of drama still follows me around, which seems to be what is happening with almost every teenager at my age. When eighth grade came around, things just seemed to go up hill from there. New friends came around the corner, I joined karate, and though I lost some friends, things are still pretty great. Every day is filled with laughs, smiles and always stupidity. The teachers seemed to get better; no offense to last year’s teachers, and the things we learned became more interesting. I finally found a reason to want to go to school everyday.

Within this year, I not only learned about atoms, the civil war, and how to find the circumference of a circle, I also learned about myself. I know it may sound cheesy or made up, but I finally realized the type of person I am. I know where I’m going and where I want to be in the future. I also know how I want things to be. I can tell my friends from people who just want to use me and that’s always good. Everything I didn’t know last year is what I have learned this year and its probable that I will learn plenty more once I get into high school.

What the future has in store for me, I do not know, but I can take a wild guess that there will be more drama, but also new friends and more laughs. High school will probably be the closest thing to the real world, as I will get before college.

I may not know the future, but I do know the past. It was filled with laugh, tears, hate, joy, anger, and every emotion in between. Friends were lost and gained. Enemies, though there weren’t very many, were made. I learned new things at school and also a few life lessons. Everything may not have been perfect or even pretty but I have to admit it was one heck of a ride and I’m not yet ready to get off. The past will always remain as the future moves on and I’ll be happy to leave it behind in exchange for the things to come.