Embrace Family Values | Teen Ink

Embrace Family Values

Brought up fortunately in a harmonious family, I used to put family values high on my list of priorities. My parents showed me the best side of a family: mutual respect, love, and shared responsibilities. They would share house chores, carefully listen to my opinions, and respect my independence. We would hold a small conference when deciding the destination of the summer vacation. We would share our trivial stories with others. We would watch movies on the sofa together.

To me, finding a reliable husband and having a child meant that I could be as happy as my mom. I was looking forward to a life where I could have my own family, which would be supported by love and cooperation. When I was young, I did not know what conservatism was, but I believed that marriage and children would bring me happiness. 

However, I realized this belief might not be universal when none of my friends agreed. When we were talking about our future plans, I was shocked by a stark contrast in our dreams of happiness. "I don't want to have children. Career goes first," one of them declared with unwavering conviction. “Marriage and children can only bring trouble." Another concurred.
One of them, who labeled herself an independent female of the new age, looked at me in shock. "Are you brainwashed by those conservative patriarchal natalists?" She cried out. I was offended because, like them, I had a progressive stance on social matters. I supported social justice movements, promoted environmental sustainability, and held gender equality to be important values. Was putting family values first at odds with a progressive outlook?

I could not blame my friends. Their views were shaped by their own experiences. "I live in a single-parent family, and my mother always complains about the hardship of raising children," one of my friends explained. “My father is cold towards my mom and me. He only concerns his work.” “My parents treat me like a three-year-old baby! They have never listened to me.” I fell silent before their heavy words, which warned me that a happy family was not ubiquitous. Their stories opened my eyes to the harsh realities that many face. 

But I gradually understood that different backgrounds produce different feelings, and different feelings produce different opinions. My upbringing in a harmonious family gave me a positive outlook on marriage and children, while my friends’ experiences led them to a different conclusion. It had nothing to do with progressiveness or conservatism but diversity. Being progressive does not mean that I should condemn family values with my friends, and looking forward to having children does not mean that I must be a conservative. Progressive ideals embrace a variety of personal choices and lifestyles. 

I am proud to be a progressive who cherishes family values. My belief in family values does not undermine my commitment to progressive causes. A true liberal is intolerant of intolerance. 

This piece was inspired by a fierce discussion with my friends, which provoked my thinking about the meaning of being a liberal in politics. My friends and their various backgrounds made me realize that although wanting to get married and have children is weird for a progressive teenage girl, it is not wrong. Different backgrounds shape different attitudes towards family, and what I should do is accept diversity.