Sitting By The Window - A Memoir | Teen Ink

Sitting By The Window - A Memoir

By Spellbinder BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
Spellbinder BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

Have you ever sat by the window, watching the rain come down and the lightning flash? How about tracing the drops with your finger, seeing them grow as they collide? I have.
Living in your own little world, wondering why the sky is crying. It’s very peaceful by the window.
I’ve lived by the window my entire life. Choosing to watch, rather than play. Choosing to see rather than touch. The window was my happy place until that fateful day I decided to leave it.

I was sitting on the window ledge, reading Twilight for the third time. Hearing the engine of the mail truck, I looked up just in time to see Bobby the mailman closing the box.
Putting my book down on the seat, I stood up to retrieve the mail. The sun was bright today, unusual for the middle of monsoon season. The birds were singing from their nest in the palm tree. I loved that sound.
I was surprised to see a letter addressed to me as I leafed through the mail pile. It was from my friend Ian. We had met the previous year through the internet, and had been best friends ever since. Even though we were best friends, we’ve never actually met in person. We just know each other through pictures and words. I’ve always wanted to meet him, so I was shocked when I read that Ian would be moving to my town.
My heart started racing as I read further down the letter, feeling excitement and nervousness all at once. “He’s coming.” The thought ran through my head as I sprinted back in the house.
“Whoa! What’s the rush?” my mom asked as I ran past her.
“Ian’s moving.” I said hurriedly. “He’s moving here!”

Rushing into the room, I grabbed my laptop and rushed back to the window. I had to email Ian. I couldn’t believe he didn’t tell me this sooner! I typed a quick message to him, hoping he was online. I told him I was excited (though I left out the part about the nervousness I was feeling), and asked him when he was coming.
“Please be on.” I muttered, hitting send. I didn’t have to wait long before I heard the “ding,” telling me I had mail. “I’m glad you’re excited,” Ian wrote back, “Because I’m coming tomorrow.” “Tomorrow?” I thought as I continued reading.
“My family wants to check out the house before we move, so let’s meet up.”

The rest of the day, and the next morning were a blur. I would be meeting Ian, for the first time, in one hour. I was, once again, sitting in my window seat, watching the kids walking home from the school on the corner. The nervousness I felt yesterday stayed with me all night, but miraculously disappeared by morning. It was starting to sink in. and I liked it.

Finally, after whet seemed like days, it was time to go. The park we had chosen to meet up at was within walking distance, so I started off. I could see someone standing by the gates as I grew closer. I knew it was him. Even though I couldn’t see clearly. I knew.
Stopping a few feet away, I smiled.
“Ian.” I breathed. “Hey Kawii.” He said, using his nickname for me.
He closed the gap between us in three strides, and hugged me.
“No more will I spend my days at the window.” I thought as I hugged him back.
Ian is and will always be my happy place.

I wrote this memoir as a school assignment.

Katie-jo said...
Katie-jo, Triangle, Virginia
So sweet! Keep writing, I can't wait to read more of your work!

Bells said...
Wow, that's quite the luck [:

I know I'd love for that to happen...but my overprotective mom wouldn't even let me make such close friends with Ian online in the first place, let alone let me meet him in the park.

I suppose I'll have to stick with my real life friends (: That's pretty spectacular for you, though.