Junior High | Teen Ink

Junior High

January 19, 2010
By Anonymous

It was the end of August and I was up all night thinking about the morning. Waiting patiently for the seconds to turn to minutes, and the minutes to turn to hours, I could about hear the ticks and the tocks in my head. Before I knew it, it was morning and I barely beat my loud obnoxious alarm. The next thing I knew I was being rushed out of the house, and every were I look there was a smile on every single one of my families’ faces.

As I was walked to school with my friend on my side, we both had a small, little, nervous smile on our faces. I turned to her and said, “you know that we have to take P.E. ( physical education) for a whole semester every single day,” not even knowing what I was saying, just talking to be talking and having no point at all.

She replied with an irritated tone to her voice, “that was random, and yes I knew that Ashley.”
Then I said with a smile on my face, “just checking,” and then giggled a little to my self. After that we didn’t say a word to each other until we reached the main entrance doors. Junior High read the sign on the door in big, black, bold letters. The school wasn’t as big as I pictured, it wasn’t as big as most junior highs are, it was definitely small and for sure old, but had character. So any way I looked my friend straight in the eyes as I if were going to say something important and said, “Aren’t you going to get that?” She turned away with a grin and opened the door with a huge sigh, as if she saw that coming.

The first thing I noticed was the bright, yellow paper. I walked straight to it, as if it were pulling me in closer and closer. There on the paper it had everyone’s last names and next to it was an assigned room. Before I started to head for the room that I was assigned to, I had to find my locker B32.The locker was long and narrow, the only dilemma was it was locked and I had to unlock it. Let me tell you that had to be the most frustrating part of my day. I tried for about 10 minutes to get that dump lock open, and before I knew it the bell rung. Startled I ran to the first teacher I saw and asked desperately for help. The teacher said to me “I will show you this once.”

I replied nervously, “ok.”
She spun the lock around 3 or 4 times and then started doing my combo, 2-32-22. Once she was finished she gave it a quick tug and as if by magic it opened. As I was in the middle of saying thank you, she locked it. I looked up puzzled.

The teacher said to me, “let me see you try.”

Once again I replied, “Ok.”

After I finished trying to do my combo I looked up, and to my surprise she wasn’t there. Frustrated after trying so long and finally getting someone to unlock it, but instead she decides to lock it again and insists she wants to see me try. So then I decide to try once again and when I look up she wasn’t there. I ran to another teacher asking frustrated and desperately for help once again. To my relief the teacher opened the lock, smiled, and walked away. I quickly but quietly put my stuff in my locker and headed for my assigned room.

The rest of my day was over welling but, also like an orange you never actually know if it is going to be sweet or sour, but no matter what it will be it will all ways surprise you. That’s how the rest of junior high was like, all ways something new and different to come and surprise you.