Story of a fathers bitterness | Teen Ink

Story of a fathers bitterness

June 6, 2010
By MitchB. SILVER, Lol, Florida
MitchB. SILVER, Lol, Florida
9 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"


Unlike most people, my most vivid memory isn’t one I’m very fond of. It was one of the sadist times of my life. It made me realize the impact words can have on a person. It was when those words came out of that mans mouth that I truly discovered that words hurt more that bumps and bruises. The blood stops, the skin patches itself, and life goes on. But words! There’s something so strange about words. Simple phrases never go away. They burrow them selves into your brain like moles! They stay, and they cause pain for the rest of your life.

My mother and father divorced when I was young. I spent my summers leaving my much loved mom in the Florida sun, to join my father, with his new wife(not to mention that she was thrown in my face) and her daughter in small town Louisiana. But this summer, I put my foot down and decided to stay in warm, stormy Florida. To put it in simple terms, this did not go well with my dad. So, for a several weeks, we went to war. But I kept my ground and won the fight. But my step mom hag some things to say too.

She was not to fond of my triumphant victory over my less powerful, aging father. So, since she runs the house hold, she forced my father to return for part 2 of or small civil war. But once again, I held my place and came out of top!! He got nothin over me! Anyways, I didn’t come out unscaved though. While having a conversation via phone my (who I thought was) father said “ As long as you live with your mother, you will never do anything with your life”. Can you believe a father saying that to his own flesh and blood?? It was at this point that I hung up, in tears. I then had an epiphany. I relieved that he isn’t my father. A father doesn’t do that. My true father is my step dad, he cares for me, something he never did.

Without an apology, he called back and demanded to have the phone that he bought sent back to him. So, without any thought, I walked into the storage shed, grabbed the sludge hammer, and took out all my frustration onto that small piece technology. He never said he wanted it whole!

I still believe that I won the war, I have decided never to return to that southern state(no offense) and never speak a word to that man again. So I think you can agree, that this isnt the worst memory, but certainly not the best. This is only of the many things that family has done to me, and I know it wont be the last. But I know that when all this is said and done, I will have had the last laugh!