My Mask | Teen Ink

My Mask

By musicfan PLATINUM, South Holland, Illinois
musicfan PLATINUM, South Holland, Illinois

"...in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world."

Can you feel my fear? Can you hear my sad cries? Can you see my frowns and my frustration? No. No, you can't. I wear a mask, a mask that hides my true feelings. When I put on this mask that I've created I'm in a different world, a happy world. I can laugh and smile and sing and dance. I can enjoy my friends and actually have fun, but it's not me.

Me. That's a word that's very hard to describe. I don't even know who I am, where I come from, which world I'm in. Am I hiding in a dark hole, afraid to come out, scared that someone will hurt me? Or am I floating high in the sky, feeling free and open, knowing not one person can touch me? I don't know. I'm confused and lost and afraid.

What am I doing here? What's my purpose in this world? Am I supposed to make a change? Am I supposed to feel this way? What's wrong with me? Am I okay, depressed, sad, happy? These are the questions I don't have answers for.

I have a mask, but sometimes I forget. I forget if there's a face behind it, hiding from the real world. I can't tell which one is me, or if the other's really there. Is there really a sad side to me? One that's so depressed that she's confused? Or am I all happy? Is it really there or am I imagining it? Maybe I just think I have a problem but I don't and I'm just going crazy. Do I really need a mask? Do I really have a mask? I don't know, but I still keep wearing it.

And now, as I put my mask back on, hiding my fears and sadness, my loss and confusion, I ask myself a question once more.

Can you fix glass that has already been shattered?