Trying to Forget | Teen Ink

Trying to Forget

By bandgeekfreak DIAMOND, No Answer, Texas
bandgeekfreak DIAMOND, No Answer, Texas

“A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.” Abraham Maslow.

The music fills my veins, my heart beating in time to the bass. I raise my hands above my head, closing my eyes and swish my hips. My dress clings to my body, showing my figure but not showing too much. I abandoned my shoes a long time ago and now is time for me to forget. I open my eyes and see my friends have formed a circle with me in the middle. Suddenly we are all jumping to the overloud music, each one of us trying to forget, forgive. The music intoxicates us and before we know it we are all sweating and have stopped crying. The bad news has long since slipped our minds as we danced away the pain, the rejection.

Its dark, lights flashing everywhere, people wiggling around next to each other. Everyone’s here for a different reason, I know ours. We are here to forget, to not think. I feel someone’s arm wrap around my waist and look up to see who is brave enough to get close to me. I took the news the hardest, sobbing and not caring what the hell anyone thought. I see his familiar face and smile up at him. I see some sixth graders from our group staring at him and me and a laugh bubbles up from my throat before I can stop it. I slip out of his grasp and spin with my arms above my head. I let my brain go, let those angry hurt thoughts slip into the sky. I dance until I can’t dance any longer, I’m trying to forget. I don’t have to forgive, just forget. It flows into my blood, intoxicating me and I never want to stop. I want to live without having to think. I want to dance until I die.