I'm a Survivor | Teen Ink

I'm a Survivor

By EeBRA BRONZE, Mattapan, Massachusetts
EeBRA BRONZE, Mattapan, Massachusetts

"Don't count the days, make the days count." Mohamed Ali

Forget the date; skip a few, does it matter? Now am through, that’s all that matters, thank you Lord, thank you Lord, thank you Lord. I don’t know how many times I have to say it, but THANK YOU LORD. Memory of a lifetime I will never forget. It’s stuck in my head like ink to white. Off all the lights but left mine to shine, thank you God!

I was around five or seven years old, still a youngling, facing the worst tragedy of my life. Standing in front of our pan-body (a house build with hard aluminum and woods), cleaning the feathers off a chicken with my cousin. It was a holiday because we only eat chicken on holidays. Out of nowhere few airplanes flew by us, thought it was weird, but felt safe from the thought of the soldiers’ headquarter based in our community. With a wink of my eyes, and drum beats of my ears, Booooooom! Felt the sound with vibration. All we saw was smoke. People running from left to right, no question asked, we ran with them. Naked kids with no diapers on, only a piece of rag we call nappy tied around their waist, standing in one place crying for the help of anyone that cares enough to comfort them. Gun spraying like cheap hose, taking innocent souls from their bodies. R.I.P to all my people, good or bad. See you all when I get there, but not anytime soon, it’s far from y’all imaginations. I prefer not to talk much about this. Lost smile of mama Africa now found, her beauty is so divine. Sierra Leone stand up and I get up with her, I’m proud to be a survivor of my motherland, THANK YOU GOD.

I was told to write an article about a memoir or an experience, so i wrote about my feelings and thoughts of the Civil War in Sierra Leone.