What I Wish I Could Have Said | Teen Ink

What I Wish I Could Have Said

By Ethan Dentler BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon
Ethan Dentler BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon

Dear Grandpa Mike,

I’m sorry for being too young to care about your passing. It wasn’t my intention to leave your funeral to go play in the churches parking lot. I was just doing what most six year olds do, and fazed through all the hard times in my life. Leaving reality behind in the process.

I regret not spending any time with you while you were sick in bed. I only visited you on certain occasions, and even then I hardly spoke to you. Focusing most of my attention on other things, always wanting to go home and play with my toys. Looking back to those days where I could’ve spent time with you, but instead looked for something else to occupy my short attention span really makes me hate my childish self.

Reflecting on the days I did spend with you, did not feel like I was spending any quality time with my grandfather. I wish I could have told you I love you without being forced to, or looking around for something to play with. I wish I could’ve gotten to know you better, instead of the six years I wasted away. The days we did spend together were great, but I wish I could’ve spent more time together so I could’ve gotten to know you.

I always wanted to talk to you one more time before you passed. I wanted to tell you how much of a role model you were to me, how much your words of wisdom really changed my life. I just wanted to say thanks, you really helped me out.

From your Grandson,

Ethan

This is for my grandfather who died of lung cancer back in 2006. I was too little to care but I'm 13 now. This is what I would have had said to him if I had the chance