The Way He Walked | Teen Ink

The Way He Walked

The way in which he walked towards the van seemed to be the key that allowed me to identify his current emotion. The walk was slow-paced, and the foundation of his spine seemed to be losing its strength, making the head slump forward, forcing him to look at the ground. He finally reached the van and opened the door. Immediately after, he gently placed his clarinet case and his backpack in the front seat. He then crawled over two rows of seats in an attempt to sit next to me, his brother. He sat down, and immediately looked out the window, staring at the building in which he had just came out of. Finally, I said “Hey Greg.” He replied with a tone that seemed to slightly resemble the emotion in which he walked with, just a couple minutes before. “Hey…” An eerie silence then erupted inside the car; however, this silence spoke to me in an interesting way. The actions in which Gregory made were caused by something that was disturbing him, and what was bothering him, suddenly began to bother me. “Greg, are you alright?” I asked him in a calm voice. He shouted. “Yes! I’m Fine!” Ten seconds went by before I spoke again. “Gregory, please tell me.” Hesitating at first, he finally answered. “But…Ugh…He was teasing me again.” Anger bloomed throughout my body, but I kept it hidden, for I did not want Gregory to get caught in the middle of a dramatic scene between him and the individual that was bullying him. My mom, who was sitting in the driver’s seat, had heard all of it. I then forced Gregory to take me to who was insulting him. We started walking, and I noticed something interesting about Gregory’s posture as he walked, it was morphing. The changes weren’t big, but yet they were still identifiable. His head was beginning to rise, and the pace at which he was walking began to increase slowly. However, this change in posture soon returned back to normal when we encountered the individual that was bullying Greg. Greg pointed at him. At first he had not noticed us. The individual was too busy exchanging in conversation with the people around him. Oh, how I would of loved to of socked him in the face, but the drama that would of surrounded Gregory caused by this action would of been too much for him to handle. A half a minute passes until, finally, he makes eye contact, first with Greg, and then with me. Now, I am not the most intimidating individual in the world, but whatever went through Greg’s bullies head when he saw me must of scared him. I could tell, Greg was waiting for me to do something unique, but in fact, we were already doing it. I could tell that the stare we were giving him was enough. The emotions in which my brother and I were experiencing (which were anger and sadness) were transmitting through our stare and were being received by the individual’s eyes. Somehow, these two emotions must have morphed into the emotion of regret, otherwise known as feeling guilty. He finally grabbed his back pack and slowly walked away, but the way he walked seemed, almost identical to Greg’s walk when he was heading towards the van. He was out of sight now; hence, Gregory and I decided to walk back to the van. What I observed on my way back to the car was a total change in Gregory’s posture. Everything was the exact opposite, his head was held high, his back was held straight up, and the way he looked at me, was a simple smile, a non-verbal thank you.

From that moment on, I realized how emotions play a unique role in not only determining our physical responses, but also our mental responses towards a situation. This realization can be shown through-out the memoir. Physical responses, which were shown by my brother’s poor posture (when he walked), were generated by my brother’s low-self esteem, which was originally generated by the bully’s attitude towards Gregory. I must say that Gregory shows his emotions physically more than any other human out there. This is due to his autism, in which Gregory has a difficult time keeping the thoughts and emotions, relating to the incident, “inside his head”.