The Super Bowl | Teen Ink

The Super Bowl

By Cherrycoke4444 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
Cherrycoke4444 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Its was so cold I remember the air being so thick and the wind being so strong. I had to wear layers on layers just to feel my fingers. WE had made it to the most important game of the year and season. It was the Super Bowl, we had persevered through our tough season and made it. Our team as a whole was like family we knew our strengths and weaknesses like the back of our hand. We had learned so much in the season and the game was the finally, we had to show everyone what we had, and lay it all out there. We were versing the Pontiac Panthers, the team known for playing rough, but that didn't stop us we knew what we had to do. I remember some of our drills we used to do before every game, like sprints that included different sprinting techniques to improve our coordination. I remember the first one that made it across that line was always praised for their effort and their hard work. And I remember the feeling when you didn't meet that coaches expectation you felt like you let him down. But when you were that first kid you felt like you were the best of the best. And I know this feeling even today, along the lines of grades and my parents, I strive my best to get my grades up to the highest standards, and when I exceed their expectations I feel powerful and proud to say " yeah, I did that!" But on the flip side I know the feeling of letting them down and that feeling is the worst you feel like the bottom of the pile and you feel like you let them down.

The game was a nerve wrecking begging because i was called as captain for my team and I had to lead my team and make the right call. I got up there and the referee told me " Heads or Tails?" and I remember thinking in that splice sec that the call I made could determine the whole outcome of this game and that was a scary thought. but I went with what I thought was best and chose heads. WE won the toss! I felt so accomplished, even just from a coin toss.we received the ball and the game was on. And I realized that, in life we have some challenges and are faced with a coin toss and the choice could affect the situation completely. Such as in my life I was forced to the decision of choosing which parent got the majority custody, and this was not an easy choice because I did not want to hurt anyone in the end. but I chose my dads and life has been good, and my relationship with my mom gets better and better I see her we just pick up right where we left off.

I remember the first half was a struggle we had went back and forth and hadn't made a dent in the scoreboard it was a tug-o-war. But I remember right before the half ended we had bordered them up to the goal line and we were in feet of the goal line. I remember telling my team to just "push for that extra yard and do not stop just keep chugging" I remember in that next moment we had a lot of contact and pads were crashing everywhere and I looked over and the ref had both hands raised high. We came out of that half pumped leading 7-0. And I know I apply this to everyday life whether it be in school or homework or other sports. I know you can never give up and you have to push for that extra 'yard' and to strive your best and in the end you usually come out on top.

We came back out on the field, with our heads held high and our game faces on. But this half didn't go as well as the last, our first play the kickoff to them was returned immediately for six points. we had our minds reset realized we had competition against us. I remember late in the fourth we we pinned against our own goal and our main fullback had just been injured so we had our second string come in, and it was a hand off to him, and before you knew it the ball was on the ground and in the end zone for the other team. The score now stood at 14-7. And we had a chance with 2 minutes left, we drove the field and got to their on 30 with under a minute left. I will remember the next play for the rest of my life we called a flag route for my right tight end and it was on two to try and get the extra 5 yards, but it didn't work they stayed put, i called out the last cadence and felt the ball slap my plans and the whole play unfolded in slow motion. I remember taking a three step drop and hopping twice right before i saw my tight end wide open and ready to the sideline and i tossed it right to him. But then suddenly out of no where a panther pounced and snagged the ball out of the air and was brought down at the 50. My whole body sunk realizing what I just did, the whole crowd sighed in a big awe. The panthers ran out the clock and we lost 14-7. I remember shaking hands with the other team and our whole team fighting back tears, I remember the song " we are the champions played" and i will forever hate that song now. But I took that experience and learned from it, learning that being over cocky and thinking you have this and you can do it because you're better can always come back and get you and that even though we lost that season is permanently etched in my brain. And all the stories I can pull from that season, there are too many to count. Also all the characters I met along the way whether it be coaches or teammates I learned from every single one of them, and they changed my life forever.