An Unexpected Twist | Teen Ink

An Unexpected Twist

February 15, 2015
By Thatoneman BRONZE, San Pedro Garza Garcia, Other
Thatoneman BRONZE, San Pedro Garza Garcia, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Today my parents told me something that I thought was fake at the time. They told me that I had to move to The Woodlands, Texas in the United States. The last week of school my parents told me again and I realized that We were packing some of our stuff for the U.S., I was sad. I was going to leave all my friends behind without the proper time to say goodbye. Then at the beginning I was inviting friends over or I went to their houses to say goodbye. One day I was not really active so my parents had an idea to send me to a nearby summer camp to stall time. In that summercamp I sort of got bored and I wanted to get out but they kept me there for time reasons. In that time I figured out that my best friend’s older sister was there. After I talked to her I found out my friends were not there so in that very night they picked me up to go on a car to go home. In that early morning at three in the morning I went on a car to head on there. I did not want to go because I was going to leave all my friends behind and I pictured woodlands in my head like this: construction workers everywhere cutting down trees it being polluted entirely and mean people everywhere. I did not want to go since I liked where I lived and I had moved to and from different places already and I did not want to leave my friends day.

I am at my car where my dad a sort of tall, a little chubby forty year old dad with black hair and light brown eyes with smile curves around his cheek. And there was my brother a 4 year old with brown hair, brown eyes and a big head for his size sat in the car while my dad was driving. “I don’t want to go it is going to be horrible” I cried.
“Polo don’t get mad you will meet new friends I know you are going to like it” My dad stated, trying to calm me down. A lot of time passed and then my dad told me to look out the window I could not believe We were here, it was a paradigm shift all I thought about there was completely wrong. There were trees everywhere and no pollution and the skies were more blue than in Monterrey (which is not saying much)  but I really liked it and I was in a car. I could not wait to go into my new home, but then I realized that I was not going to stay there for only one year it was going to be longer so I panicked. We got to the house where I was going to live more than a year and I really liked it. It was way smaller than our other house but it felt more like a house because you didn’t have to go on long stairways to get to the kitchen. Well for the rest of the summer I was beginning to go around and explore the place and smell the fresh air. I was getting ready for each day for the first day of school.


“Wake up Polo” my mom said in an exhausted voice, my mom is a a little bit shorter than average height and has brown hair. “You need to come to breakfast” my mom announced to me and my brother and sister. Then my sister came out a tall for her age girl with hair as black as midnight. She was two years younger than me and she was seven years old at the time. I went down to eat and get ready for the first day of school. I was anxious but at the same time scared I did not know anybody or the people that where there. So I went biking watching the scenery as people were arriving to the school. I was nervous but at the same time flowing with confidence getting ready to park my bike and go to my first time in fourth grade. When I arrived they gave me the typical introduction to a class, “Hello everybody We have a new student in class Polo could you please come to the front of the class.” I felt incredibly timid my bones felt like stone the time I was without standing up felt forever but when I looked at the time it was the same minute. I then found the courage in me to stand up and go to the front and present myself. I presented telling them where I came from and well that day I spent the typical first day of school where I interacted with classmates and did class activities and those types of things. I think that day I had made my first friend since moving.


I was really beginning  to like it, I made some new friends on the first day from my class and outside. At the end of the day, I told  my mom that moving here might not have been so awful after all and that I wanted to keep being here for more than a year. Weeks passed and I began making friends on the way to school, I met this kid who began to talk to me his name was Bryce. Later I began to wait for him outside his house and began to know him better I hanged out with him in Recess and turns out he liked soccer too. Later I met this kid on the same neighborhood as the past kid his name was Sebastian. Them two were beginning to be my best friends and I hoped and thought I was going to last long with them that is what I hoped. One day from school one of them invited me to his birthday party and since then everything went on a breeze. From hating to move and being alone and with no friends. I was loving houston and the friends I made. On Saturdays We would go hang out on the park playing sports or just talking and inviting more people. I struggled at first to find friends at the beggining but I tried and I made it.


Years passed from that great experience of something that felt harsh at the beginning but ended up paying off. In my opinion the most important lesson is to try your best to achieve something that seems hard.  In the experience I learned a lot about myself and saw that giving something chances is the best way to succeed. This has affected me in the way that I have friends that have lasted for a long time and I found the courage to do something that once seemed impossible. In fact I am going to see my friends from there on the weekend for the superbowl.