Being | Teen Ink

Being

March 8, 2015
By KeelyR BRONZE, L.I.C, New York
KeelyR BRONZE, L.I.C, New York
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Have you ever looked up at the stars and wondered what was out there?” I sat upright at the question, “Do you mean like aliens and stuff?” I asked curiously. “No, I mean like what’s really out there.” I cocked my eyebrows slightly, “As a kid I always used to think that the stars were made up of our hopes and dreams. The ones who dreamed the hardest, shined the brightest. You get me?” He said softly. I looked up at the starry sky, you couldn’t get this view in New York City even if you paid millions for it, “I get what you’re saying but you do know stars are made up of a bunch of gasses and crap, right?” I said lying back down next to him once again staring up at the sky. The grass was covered in dew and it soaked through my clothes, yet I didn’t mind it at all, this was paradise to me. “Well obviously we know that now, but as a kid you didn’t know that. Hell there are a lot of things you don’t know even at this very moment.” He said turning his attention to me with disappointed eyes. I remained silent, what was there to say when all was already said? The sky above me? I never really thought about it, but there was a lot to see in the sky. The way the stars seemed to glow ever so slightly, as if they were delicate and could disappear at any moment made me feel insignificant to the rest of the world. We were small specks compared to the grand scheme of things, yet I longed to be more than that. I longed for meaning of my somewhat meaningless life. However, how could I find meaning from a life that I hadn’t even lived in for long? I was only 17, how was I supposed to make meaning out of my life when I didn’t even know what living was until recently? As I lie there next to him, I remembered all the moments that would come to mind. Those moments had meant a lot to me for me to remember them; what if those moments had been the most significant thing in my life? Would I choose my next actions more wisely or would I waste it on things that I won’t even remember in a few years? How was I supposed to decide what I wanted to do when I hadn’t done a single thing? I didn’t know the answer to any of these questions, all I knew was that I didn’t know much. I didn’t know how the neighborhoods of another city looked like, I didn’t know what climbing a mountain would feel like, I didn’t know what it was like waking up watching the sunrise, I didn’t know the smell of midnight, I didn’t know what the sun tasted like, and I didn’t know what I wanted to do or what I wanted to experience. All I knew was that I wanted to experience these things, all I knew was that I wanted to get out there. All I knew was that I couldn’t live a life not knowing anymore. As I lied there in my damp clothes all I could think about was that one step at a time I was making my moments count.


The author's comments:

As I sat in my English class one day a memory I had almost long forgotten came back to me and as the teacher spoke I spent my time writing the memory down. It was a moment where I had self reflected with a friend of mine, who I no longer speak to, and it helped me realize many things that I never knew about myself.