A treasure of Waukesha County | Teen Ink

A treasure of Waukesha County

By Alfea99 PLATINUM, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Alfea99 PLATINUM, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

"Shoot for the moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."~ Les Brown

Walking in, I greeted my old summertime babysitter. Sitting down at my usual place, I began my plan. I need six books for my upcoming vacation. And this was the perfect place to start--the Oconomowoc Public Library.
Scanning, I made for the new books shelves. And I uncovered a gold mine.
      I headed to a different section. This is where my favorite treasures, like Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, and Harry Potter, are kept.
      In the middle stand computers. These computers allow for searching books by title, author, or keyword(s). I scroll through my personal account. My account allows access to the search system, to see any fines, and to put books on hold. I turn to find one of the librarians. In minutes, I had the two books.
      The Oconomowoc Public Library not only has a vast selection of books, but a variety of events. The DMV comes in the first and third Thursday of the month for driver’s tests and renewing licenses. The LEGO club meets the first Wednesday from October to May. And every Wednesday, toddler storytime is at ten am.
     Every summer, there is a reading challenge for young kids. The goal is to get kids to treasure the gift of reading. I remember participating and winning books I got to take home.
       As I walk out of the summertime babysitter, I smile as a family walks by. The Oconomowoc Public Library is a treasure chest filled with gold and a love for its community.

The Oconomowoc Public Library has been my go-to place for finding books for summer trips or for fun. I ablsoultely love that place. I truly believe that magical things happen when people, especially kids, are introduced to the gift of litureature and reading. It always warms my heart seeing young kids begging for more books at the Library.