Transition | Teen Ink

Transition

By Aarya1 SILVER, New Delhi, Other
Aarya1 SILVER, New Delhi, Other

Hurt me with the truth but never comfort me with a lie

It was Summer of 2015 when I heard that some of my mom’s cousins are going to Jaipur. It was not the best holiday destination from a steaming capital, Delhi to an equally boiling city in Rajasthan . But this was the first time my parents had said yes for me to go alone, none of my family members were going. In fact, my parents did send me for a school trip when i was eight years old but at that time I had a severe bout of breathlessness during the trip and since then my parents were hesitant to send me alone. After so many years they had agreed and this was an offer I could not reject! Obviously, I was not completely alone. I was with three of my cousins and three adults but no one from my family was present. Imagine my excitement! Since we were not going to go anywhere else, I could not resist myself accepting this offer.

Initially, I was reluctant. I do not make friends easily. Also being the youngest child at home I am quite pampered. But this trip was completely different. Also my Mom did not even interfere at all. To begin with I did my packing on my own and she did not even check if I had kept everything. Also I knew I cannot call anyone if I had left anything. Believe you me it was too good to be true. I must admit that I had a wonderful experience .I had to take my decisions: whether it was going to a particular place or ordering food. I was in charge of everything.  This trip covered everything: shopping, excursion trips, meeting my extended family. Also for the first time, i slept in a big room with six kids almost of my age. We were free to do whatever we wanted. We played cards, board games and even shared many school incidents.

This trip not only made me grow from a mamma’s boy to a more independent boy but also made me much closer to my extended family.

I would like to title this piece as transition because this holiday made me change