The New Transition | Teen Ink

The New Transition

It was a beginning of a brand new and nerve wracking school year. I was starting the third grade at Kaler Elementary School. I previously went to school at Brown Elementary School sense I was a little kindergartener to second grade. In my little noggin, I've always thought I had the perfect school life at Brown, filled with candy, friends, crayons, and bully free. It was the one devastating school night during dinner that my mother told me the news that I had to transfer to another school in the following year.

Once I heard those specific words fly out of her mouth, my whole candy filled and bubbly world fell apart in disparity, as I swallowed the scallion soup that haunted my childhood. I've always blamed the scallions that we had for dinner that night for my move because they've always brought pain to my taste buds. For the rest of the night my mind was fuzzy and puzzled.

The first day of school started within a week. I jumped out of bed as usual and ate my Cinnamon Toast Crunch, while watching a Walmart commercial that presented a "roll back" sale on school supplies. The commercial made me cringe, thinking about not going to school anymore with my friends.

A week has passed and I was ready for my first day. I had my Scooby Doo backpack and my spacemaker pencil box, that was meant to hold school supplies, but really I just put all my toys in there. Since I was going to a new school, I had to take a new bus. While walking to the bus stop, I had negative thoughts in my head, like who am I going to sit with, what happens if I take the wrong bus, will I even have a seat? The bus stop was insane, there was probably 12 to 15 kids there. They were all playing some weird game, where they were digging up random holes in the ground.

My shyness paralyzed my body and I ended up waiting at a tree. The bus final arrived and thank god there was an open sit right behind the bus driver. The whole bus was packed, like a can of sardines as the bus traveled to each bus stop and more kids filed in, but I ended up sitting by myself. For the rest of the bus ride, I just thought of the worst scenarios that could occur once I've arrived school.

The bus made a sharp turn into the school bus loop and upon my eyes was James Otis Kaler Elementary school. Everyone strolled off the bus and I ended up being the last one off. I entered the school doors and managed to reach my classroom after gathering up my courage to ask for directions. My body felt like a volcano and I could heard the milk and cereal boil up because I was so nervous. I was the only transferred student in my class, so my teacher introduced me. The ironic thing was right before my teacher was going to introduce me, I had a panic attack and fainted right to the floor.

Apparently, everyone laughed at me because as I fainted, I knocked down my teachers coffee mug and I was drenched in hazelnut coffee. After, I came back from the nurse's office I was even more nervous and embarrassed. The strange thing was when I came back to the classroom I ended up becoming the highlight of everyone's day because I made the first day of school exciting, one girl said to me.

The first day of school ended up turning into a tortuous day to a happy and exciting new turn. It was a good outcome because I ended up making my closest friends because of my show in front of the class. In my mind if you want to overcome your nervousness become the joke and make everyone laugh and joyful.          

Overcome your nevous inner self no matter what the situation is!