Honduras Memoir | Teen Ink

Honduras Memoir

By MitchellPiazza BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
MitchellPiazza BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

In the summer I went to Honduras for a mission trip. I went with 50 people from my church. It was a life changing time and was so beautiful. The mountains bled a thick green. Everywhere I looked there was a small house with tin roofs. The grass was thin as paper and the heat was hotter than I have ever felt before. I could hear hammers getting tired as they pounded into the wood and shovels digging up dirt. That Dirt was from 1 of the 7 houses we were building on that trip. Each person who went on the trip raised $1500 which went towards the wood for the houses supplied by a group called Breaking Chains. It took 3-4 hours to build one house with anywhere from 5-25 people on a house. The labor was intense. First we put up the a pole on each corner for the basis. Next was hammering the walls, which was my personal favorite. The last and hardest thing was putting on the tin roof. It took 4 strong and well coordinated men to stand on top of 4 inch beams and nail in some tin. Everyone who wasn't building was playing with the kids in the village we built the houses in. So Whether we were building a house, playing with kids or digging up foundation, we were always trying to help the people in the community.

After we were done building each house we said a prayer with the family we built it for. I can remember one time specifically the lady who was praying said the most amazing thing in Spanish. We had our translators translate it obviously.

But she said,“Thank you to my brothers and sisters in Christ for building me this amazing house in which we live in now.” I then thought to myself, “ It’s so crazy how we can live so many miles away and we are people she just met and we just changed her life forever.” After hearing what she said, I looked into my life and saw how much I take for granted. Not only are these people rejoicing that they got this new 16x16 house, but it is way more than they have ever had. I realized that a lot of the stuff I think I “need” is really just a want. One example would be when the new iPhone 6s came out. I think I needed it because my 5s is slow but when I think about Honduras I remember what really is a need. They are struggling for food, water and need a shelter that might have even been built by a group of kids. Meanwhile, I'm here complaining about my slow iPhone 5s. Even to this day I think about the people in Honduras and the difference between my needs and my wants.